Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

Ziroli 1/6 Hellcat Build

Community
Search
Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

Ziroli 1/6 Hellcat Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 09:34 AM
shakeel khan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

During the construction process, I utilized the magnetic building method from Airfield Models - Radio Control Flying Aircraft and Display. This method has proven to be exceptionally efficient, and I'm thoroughly impressed with its effectiveness. It's my first time utilizing this system, and I can confidently say that I won't build another plane without it.

With the assistance of the PicsArt editor, I was able to design and visualize the wing structure, ensuring that it meets my specifications and preferences. This tool has been invaluable in creating a visually appealing and structurally sound wing assembly.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:38 AM
DaleCS

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shakeel khan
During the construction process, I utilized the magnetic building method from Airfield Models - Radio Control Flying Aircraft and Display. This method has proven to be exceptionally efficient, and I'm thoroughly impressed with its effectiveness. It's my first time utilizing this system, and I can confidently say that I won't build another plane without it.

With the assistance of the PicsArt editor, I was able to design and visualize the wing structure, ensuring that it meets my specifications and preferences. This tool has been invaluable in creating a visually appealing and structurally sound wing assembly.
Hello Shakeel,

I used the same method. Unfortunately, I didn't post any pictures of building the wing this way. I had the wing built before starting this thread. However, on the first page of this thread, there are a few pictures of the h-stab being built with these magnetic fixtures. I agree, these are very useful and I recommend them.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:25 PM
DaleCS

Up to around 8,600 rivets applied, just on the wing and belly-pan. I think I could easily put another 2, 000 into the wing, but I may shoot for 600 more. IFF I can stop at 9,000, I'll have about 6500 left for the fuselage - or I'll need to order some more.

What's is a good number to stop at? When is enough good enough?

I currently have a couple ideas I'm using as guidelines:
- no large expanses without rivets (it should look like something is holding the panel in place to the underlying structure - edges and at least a couple rows down and across the panel)
- outline access panels (the panels have dummy screws or rivets - the surrounding metal should not be left flapping in the wind)
- interesting features (there's a curved line of rivets on each side of the center wing section, and some lines fanned out from where the full scale wing would break for rotating into storage position - things that make the Hellcat unique)

At one point, the wing obviously looked deficient on rivet count. Now, it's looking much better, filled in.

Any thoughts on this? If this were a museum piece, then of course, "Put them all on!"

My Byron Hellcat had zero dummy rivets, zero dummy screws, zero dummy panels, etc. and yet it all got great comments and a purchase offer. And yes, this custom build has been a riveting experience!
Old 03-30-2024, 01:49 PM
DaleCS

9,000 rivets...

I think the upper wing panels are done. Will flip it, today, as I think I need a couple more lines on the underside. Then the inboard flaps. Maybe a couple short lines on each gun/ammo access cover. Have I done every line of rivets? No. But standing back, there is a fullness that wasn't there before, that feels acceptable. I feel that if I go further than I'm all in - one more line and it won't be balanced - to be balanced I'd have to add 10 lines here, 8 lines there repeat on other side... another 4,0000 on the wing? So, I may have enough, now. Stop. Move on.

Will I need to order more rivets for the fuse, h/v stab? We shall see as I have about 6,000 left. It may be close.

Old 03-31-2024, 08:40 AM
DaleCS

Left wing, inboard flap - rivets completed. One line on the right outboard wing bottom and the right inboard flap to complete and the entire wing will then be done (other than 4 bay covers I need to fabricate and completion of the gear covers).

Yes, I could do more rivets on the wing, but time to move on. I think it's looking good.

Any thoughts?

I'll need to start looking for paint, going back through my bookmarks. I used an air spray gun (not an air brush) and latex paint last time. I have a single stage air brush and have been thinking about an upgrade to a dual stage.

!

Old 04-10-2024, 05:17 PM
DaleCS

Fuselage progress: Butt panel joints at front of fuse are complete, along with two sets each on the vertical and horizontal stabs. Also, three overlapping panel joints completed at the cockpit area of the fuse.

I tried using electrical tape for the overlapping panel joints, as it is the same thickness (7 mils) as the ChartPak tap used for the butt joints. However, I found the adhesive too aggressive and that the solvent in the paint would slowly curl the tape. Not good. I had decided against using "painter tape" as it was half the thickness of the ChartPak tape - I didn't think I'd get enough paint build-up to make a clearly defined line.

So, time for an idea: Layer two pieces of painter tape and cut it down the middle to get a clean, straight edge. This worked extremely well.

Weather is warming up, so hopefully I can get at least 3 of these lines done per day, as long as it doesn't rain. The overlapping joints take time as I haven't figured out how to paint more than one tape area at a time - finish one area, remove the tap and where the tape is removed, it get's blended into the next area. I might be able to tape the whole thing at once, spray and then remove one tape, spray, and keep repeating until all the tape is removed. But, I might not finish in one day and I don't want to leave the tape on too long - even though the painter tape's adhesion is much less than the electrical tape, it isn't zero and does pull a pit of the primer with it. I prefer to put the tape on, spray, let it set for an hour max, and then remove it.

Better ideas welcomed.

Old 04-11-2024, 08:14 AM
G.F. Reid
My Feedback: (1)

One way I've seen it done is with masking tape and spackle. Place the tape where you want it, apply the spackle against the edge, sand and remove the tape. Sand the edges from front to back and top to bottom. Took it from an an old copy of "Scale R\C Modeler" years ago.
Great job on one of my all time favorite planes by the way!
Old 04-15-2024, 09:42 AM
DaleCS

Originally Posted by G.F. Reid
One way I've seen it done is with masking tape and spackle. Place the tape where you want it, apply the spackle against the edge, sand and remove the tape. Sand the edges from front to back and top to bottom. Took it from an an old copy of "Scale R\C Modeler" years ago.
That sounds like a good way to ensure consistent edge heights. I also like the idea for using something other than paint, something that may be low or zero VOC. Perhaps for the next build? Will see. Must get this one finished!
Old 04-15-2024, 10:23 AM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Exactly the way I did it on my Hellcat except that I used electrical tape and spot putty. I like the electrical tape because it can be formed around compound curves and you can wet sand against it without it falling apart. The spot putty works well but next time I will probably use Evercoat body filler as it is a bit tougher. There were a few spots on the spot putty that chipped out and had to be repaired.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:05 AM
G.F. Reid

Hello Chad! As you can see the bug came back....lol
Old 04-15-2024, 03:39 PM
Chad Veich

Hello Chad! As you can see the bug came back....lol
Always good to hear from you Greg! I think I have known you for about as long as I have known anybody on these boards. If I am not mistaken we first started interacting here way back when it was RC Online and the Internet was a fairly new idea! Man, where does the time go? Are you working on anything currently or just back perusing the threads? Either way I hope all is going well for you and yours my friend.
Old 04-15-2024, 03:56 PM
G.F. Reid

Yes, it has been a long time since those RCO days!
Not working on anything at the time being. Unfortunately I'm battling cancer and it kind of makes you think about all the things you want to do but don't feel like doing and one of them for me was playing with an airplane. So I've got a couple of foamies, some minis and possibly plans to finish that old p-47 one of these days.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:15 PM
DaleCS

Originally Posted by Chad Veich
Exactly the way I did it on my Hellcat except that I used electrical tape and spot putty. I like the electrical tape because it can be formed around compound curves and you can wet sand against it without it falling apart. The spot putty works well but next time I will probably use Evercoat body filler as it is a bit tougher. There were a few spots on the spot putty that chipped out and had to be repaired.
Beautiful work, Chad - I would not have expected less from you. Mine will just be "good enough" in comparison. At least I've learned a lot by pushing through the process.

I've noticed that you are participating more on this forum. I hope this means you are doing better.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:18 PM
DaleCS

Not working on anything at the time being. Unfortunately I'm battling cancer and it kind of makes you think about all the things you want to do but don't feel like doing and one of them for me was playing with an airplane. So I've got a couple of foamies, some minis and possibly plans to finish that old p-47 one of these days.
I hope and pray the best for you. No way forward except through.
The following users liked this post:
G.F. Reid (04-15-2024)
Old 04-15-2024, 11:13 PM
G.F. Reid

Thank you. Doing things like building and / or buying model planes right now is sort of a testimony the fact that I plan to be around to fly them!
Old 04-16-2024, 11:01 AM
Chad Veich

I am really sorry Greg, I hope that your battle will result in a full and complete recovery. I've not had to face Cancer but I can surely commiserate with having the desire to do something but not the energy. This is pretty much the definition of life for somebody with my disease. Getting old sure can be a challenge! We too will keep you in our prayers Greg and wish you all the best.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:50 PM
G.F. Reid

Thank you Chad. Likewise to you...prayers for you and yours.
Now, back to building... What grit paper are you using against that electrical tape that won't chew it up?

Last edited by G.F. Reid; 04-16-2024 at 01:53 PM.