Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

All about Kolm Engines

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 03:42 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone wanting a Kolm engine should reach out to Kolm directly and inquire, they will put you in touch with the US representative. After a few back and forth emails with Thomas and their US sales rep this week, I ordered an IL155 yesterday as well as the install kit for the Carf Spitfire. Kolm is not going anywhere, they are just going through a transition as many companies do these days.
Not sure it’s my business to give out the US reps name so, that’s why I’m not posting it here .
Old 11-24-2018, 08:44 AM
Ixtrim

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Correct !

for the moment we go on with Andy Kane! Contact him if you need something or ask me, no problem.

After years as team pilot I’m doing not the sales for Kolm Engines.

Tom
Old 11-25-2018, 04:37 PM
StangFlyer
My Feedback: (17)

For what it is worth, I just acquired a new 150 3 cylinder with starter for my Don Smith 112" Mustang I will be building this winter. I have had numerous questions and Thomas has been right there to answer any and all questions I have had. Kolm is in fact still making engines, however as stated there are some changes that have been made. Rest assured that Thomas will be available to help us all out. If anyone needs further confirmation, they should direct those questions directly to Kolm or Thomas. Thank you Tom for all your continued help. I greatly appreciate it.
Rob Epley
Old 11-26-2018, 06:22 AM
banjbob1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ixtrim
Correct !

for the moment we go on with Andy Kane! Contact him if you need something or ask me, no problem.

After years as team pilot I’m doing not the sales for Kolm Engines.

Tom

That's a relief Tom.

Iv'e had 4 flights with the spit and kolm il135. The engine goes okay but i can't seem to get it dialed for those high screaming revs,in a dive it sounds like its nearly going to pick up revs but on level flight the throttle doesn't go above 50% which is still loads of power but sounds dirty.

High needle doesn't seem to have much effect.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Rob
Old 11-26-2018, 06:48 AM
ForcesR

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by banjbob1
That's a relief Tom.

Iv'e had 4 flights with the spit and kolm il135. The engine goes okay but i can't seem to get it dialed for those high screaming revs,in a dive it sounds like its nearly going to pick up revs but on level flight the throttle doesn't go above 50% which is still loads of power but sounds dirty.

High needle doesn't seem to have much effect.

Any ideas anyone?

Cheers

Rob
What degree crank offset did you order with the IL135, 270 degree or 180 degree? The 270 degree offset will produce the warbird scream while the 180 degree will give a fairly even sound.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:16 AM
Ixtrim

What prop do you use ??

Normally you have to lean H needle, correct.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:18 AM
Ixtrim

Originally Posted by StangFlyer
For what it is worth, I just acquired a new 150 3 cylinder with starter for my Don Smith 112" Mustang I will be building this winter. I have had numerous questions and Thomas has been right there to answer any and all questions I have had. Kolm is in fact still making engines, however as stated there are some changes that have been made. Rest assured that Thomas will be available to help us all out. If anyone needs further confirmation, they should direct those questions directly to Kolm or Thomas. Thank you Tom for all your continued help. I greatly appreciate it.
Rob Epley

anytime ! Thank you
Old 11-26-2018, 11:06 AM
banjbob1

Originally Posted by ForcesR
What degree crank offset did you order with the IL135, 270 degree or 180 degree? The 270 degree offset will produce the warbird scream while the 180 degree will give a fairly even sound.
Thanks Tom.

It's the 270.

Iv'e been adjusting the high from 1.5 to .5 turns out and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

The low side is perfect.

Running a Fiala 30x14 with 4700 on the ground.

This is as good as i can get it.

Cheers

Rob
Old 11-26-2018, 11:15 AM
Ixtrim

Originally Posted by StangFlyer
Rob Epley

sounds like there is something wrong to me

rpm also to less for this engine with this prop. Where did you buy the engine. Was it always like this ?
There are definitely some Rpms missing. And : normally if you adjust H to 0.5 turns the engine will die immediately!!

Old 11-26-2018, 11:26 AM
banjbob1

Tom

I bought it new direct from Kolm 2015 for the Spit build so it's had no abuse and iv'e always run it with a filter on Aspen.

Could it be dirt or wrong timing, something simple like that?

That was the maiden a couple of weeks ago and iv'e played with the mixture now for about 4 flights with not much joy.

Last edited by banjbob1; 11-26-2018 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:10 PM
StangFlyer

Hello everyone... I am not familiar with the correct recommended oil and what ratio to gas I should use on the 150 (3) cylinder. Can anyone please help me out with this? I am told to "NOT" use Redline. Can someone explain why please? Also, Do I need a fuel pump for this engine? If so, which one is recommended? Thanks in advance.
Rob
[email protected]

Last edited by StangFlyer; 11-26-2018 at 07:12 PM. Reason: new question
Old 11-27-2018, 08:19 AM
Ixtrim

Tom

I bought it new direct from Kolm 2015 for the Spit build so it's had no abuse and iv'e always run it with a filter on Aspen.

Could it be dirt or wrong timing, something simple like that?

That was the maiden a couple of weeks ago and iv'e played with the mixture now for about 4 flights with not much joy.

possible !

Check out everything. Sure some power missing. It should sound like this :

do you have a fuel pump ?
Old 11-27-2018, 02:04 PM
banjbob1

Wink

possible !

Check out everything. Sure some power missing. It should sound like this :

https://youtu.be/HPcfiCMj_i4

do you have a fuel pump ?
Yes Thomas,Tom's Spit was the first time i heard the 135, so i knew then it was what i needed for my build.

I'll check everything, i need to remove it to paint the plane so i'll have a look.

I noticed the rear cylinder exhaust gas is way cooler than the front.

I'm not running a pump,Hans told me at the time i'd be okay without one?

Another thing i noticed when it arrived, it had the plated cylinders not the machined. any thoughts on that?

Last edited by banjbob1; 11-27-2018 at 02:18 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:10 PM
banjbob1

The Voodoo is stunning by the way!
Old 11-30-2018, 03:50 AM
Ixtrim

ok cool , tell us how the story goes on! this is what i do next :

and thanks!! :-)
Old 11-30-2018, 09:02 AM
StangFlyer

Simply beautiful. Recieved mine on Tuesday, lit the fuse last night. What an amazing piece of art.
https://youtu.be/cObm6obo7T8
Old 11-30-2018, 09:13 AM
redbiscuits

Can’t wait to get my IL155 Tom, placed my order through Andy a few weeks back and my Spitfire was due to ship this week. Going to be fun!

Gary
Old 12-01-2018, 12:18 AM
StangFlyer

Redbiscuits, That is awesome. You'll have to keep us all updated. Very happy for you.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:35 AM
redbiscuits

Will do Stang and thanks!
Old 12-11-2018, 04:11 AM
Ixtrim

i decided to install the 230 in the spifire. will use a Varioprop 4Blade. hopefully with scale-spitfire-blades. Blades will be 31". think this will look amazing :-)

keep you updated about the engine installation.

Tom
Old 12-11-2018, 04:24 AM
flypilot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That will be awesome. Just make sure you have your right thrustline...that is going to be torque hell with that small spitfire rudder 😀😀👍
Old 12-11-2018, 03:39 PM
banjbob1

Screwed the needles out to factory settings then got the low needles set perfect! then flew again and the 135 sounded rich to me but against experience gained with big 2 strokes i screwed the high needles out 1/2 turn and bingo! she was on song just like Mr Bognars Spit! So it turns out what i thought sounded rich was actually lean.
All i have to do now is add a paint job and enjoy.
Hope to get another video with the 135 270 going well.
Hey Tom was that the first project you did in the pic there?
Old 12-17-2018, 02:45 PM
Nostromo1

I was interested in purchasing a Kolm but a few concerns have arisen. Apparently the single cylinder units are no longer going to be available - only inline. So the product line is vague at the moment (not updated on their site), although I wouldn't mind a sub 100 inline twin. Vogelsang Aeroscale dropped carrying Kolm engines a month back and stated as much on their site. But now they have a picture of an inline two stroke labelled as an IL200-2T. Hmmm, two stroke motors as well?
And on the company's website it is stated that the new owner "Mr. Ploberger cant honor any manufacturer warranty for existing Kolm Engines." I gather the engines are of excellent quality, but that's unfortunate for someone who bought an expensive motor a few months back.
So I'm thinking I'll wait longer and finish the wing before finalizing an engine choice for the new project.

Last edited by Nostromo1; 12-17-2018 at 04:16 PM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM
Ixtrim

Hello !

So here the facts :

yes, we will stop producing singles. But for the moment we still have them in stock so we sell them. The 50cc will be gone, only repairs are possible.

The 77cc will be possible to build , because of the similar parts to the in lines. But not what we really want. The price is higher now and other company’s have 4stroke singles for less money, so we will see.

Vogelsang will take care on his existing customers. We guaranteed him to sell him parts if needed. Only the new owner can’t take care on the factory warranty of the old company (how could he ? ) . But for sure me.ploberger will take care on any problem and is always willing to help and find good solutions. Normally our customers come back and buy a second or third engine, so we will do our best to make everyone happy.

If you need something; please contact Andy Kane or me. Andy is doing an amazing job since we started dealing with him in US. People are very happy with him.

The 2Stroke on website of Vogelsang has nothing to do with Kolm Engines. I don’t know what it is and I really don’t care. But you can try to buy it if you want. Good luck

Tom
Old 12-18-2018, 09:28 AM
Ixtrim

I build another spitfire. This time with a 230cc engine.
We also create an install kit , in case somebody will copy this project.

Will get sierra struts, electric gear , exhaust from Zimmermann ...

in furure we can offer all accessories for our customers. Also the 4Blade 31” Ramoser Varioprop

Screwed the needles out to factory settings then got the low needles set perfect! then flew again and the 135 sounded rich to me but against experience gained with big 2 strokes i screwed the high needles out 1/2 turn and bingo! she was on song just like Mr Bognars Spit! So it turns out what i thought sounded rich was actually lean.
All i have to do now is add a paint job and enjoy.
Hope to get another video with the 135 270 going well.
Hey Tom was that the first project you did in the pic there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.