Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

My new beast

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 06:42 PM
Markocaster

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jarhead2005
Here's an idea if it hasn't already been tossed around. Being paintball is too big, what about airsoft? I'm sure you can retrofit an airsoft barrel inside the existing barrel then just connect it up as if it were a 1/16 perhaps?
I will look into that. Thanks for the idea !
Old 10-01-2018, 09:26 PM
Markocaster

I think I may be reaching the
end of the road with this tank. Not a good end though. Tonight was the finale of a week of nights after work getting ready and hooking up the sabertooth 2x32.
Fired it up said look honey it’s working and then a crack and a puff of smoke! “Is it on fire ?” Says the wife? OMG ! So I haven’t checked the esc, But after touching 6v battery to the motors it seems both my motors are now dead! Yep like a dodo. No clue *** happened? My fuses are all intact. This thing is killing me ! I pray the sabertooth is ok. I have a set of back up motors but they are exactly the same and just as old. Am I screwed or will I be able to find something that will work ? The tank was built w these motors in mind. When I was a kid my parents had a money pit house. Now I have a money pit tank. Damn ! I wish I had bought a field of armor kit. I could have the entire running tank kit and had tech support.
i am thinking I may have to cut my losses and sell it as is ? Which will mean a huge loss no doubt. Damn ! Or find someone to pay to set it up properly?
Going to kick some sh&@ and goto bed

Last edited by Markocaster; 10-01-2018 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:20 AM
Old MSgt

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Mark, don't get downhearted cause we've ALL ran in to frustrating mishaps either on rc trains, planes, ships, tanks, etc., when it comes to the electrical stuff!

How far does Tanque live from you? Both your locations say East Bay so he can't be too far away. Has he had a chance to look at it? Tanque is a BRAIN when it comes to large scale tanks! If anybody can figure out the electric setup it's HIM.

And I bet if it IS the OLD motors, you could probably find NEW ones CHEAP on the sites!

That is a NICE LOOKING TANK so DON'T GIVE UP! When you get it going you'll LOVE IT!!!

Mike in Kentucky

Last edited by Old MSgt; 10-02-2018 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 05:29 AM
Markocaster

Originally Posted by Old MSgt
Mark, don't get downhearted cause we've ALL ran in to frustrating mishaps either on rc trains, planes, ships, tanks, etc., when it comes to the electrical stuff!

How far does Tanque live from you? Both your locations say East Bay so he can't be too far away. Has he had a chance to look at it? Tanque is a BRAIN when it comes to large scale tanks! If anybody can figure out the electric setup it's HIM.

And I bet if it IS the OLD motors, you could probably find NEW ones CHEAP on the sites!

That is a NICE LOOKING TANK so DON'T GIVE UP! When you get it going you'll LOVE IT!!!

Mike in Kentucky
Thanks Mike. I won’t give up !!
I sent tanque/Jerry an email and has generously offered to take a look at it
I do really like the tank it is cool! Just want to get it going reliably. If I were to look for modern motors how would I go about choosing the appropriate ones? Thanks
Mark

Last edited by Markocaster; 10-02-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 09:41 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Definitely don't give up on it. When I first got the hetzer it came with little 12 volt Motors that were way under powered for the tank and used a bevel gear Drive. Now I've got electric scooter Motors in there with a chain drive and it was not a difficult conversion at all. Don't think you have to use the same setup that came in the tank, because you don't. You can change it to something new and better if you want to. Or, you can just look for replacements for the original Motors, and like Mike said, you should be able to find them on the cheap on the web.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:09 AM
tankme

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

I also use scooter motors and chain drive at 24V. Definitely don't give up. I have changed my scratch builds more times than I can count since things in my head don't work out to practical applications at times. I look back at my first scratch build and shake my head at my own work sometimes...
Old 10-02-2018, 09:41 PM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

Marcocaster - Sorry things did not work on this for you as planned. Like the others said tho - Don't give up on it. If the model is mechanically sound - and it appears to be on the outside - then its definitely worth saving. I'd say if Jerry is willing to take a look that is your best short term bet.

If you have a spare set of motors you can set them up with the Sabertooth (assuming it still works) outside the tank with batteries and receiver and make sure it works before install.

I can't imagine what would cause smoke - but Dimension Engineering is pretty clear that connecting the Sabertooth polarity wrong (mixing + and - battery wires going into it) could fry it. But not seeing the setup I'm only speculating.

If I was closer I'd take a look at it for you but I'm a ways from Cali...

Bob

Last edited by RC_BobM; 10-02-2018 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:39 AM
Markocaster

Thanks fellas! I won’t give up, itwas a little dishearteningwhen the motors went poof! I have another set exactly the same but am a little apprehensive about continuing. I did test the old set and new set with a 9v battery. The replacement set move. The ones in the tank nothing.
But on the bright side!! I am taking it to Jerry’s on Sunday and he is going to look it over for me !!!
I will keep you posted.
Mark
Old 10-05-2018, 08:45 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Great news, Jerry will be able to sort things out!!!
Old 10-05-2018, 11:50 AM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Markocaster
I think I may be reaching the
end of the road with this tank. Not a good end though. Tonight was the finale of a week of nights after work getting ready and hooking up the sabertooth 2x32.
Fired it up said look honey it’s working and then a crack and a puff of smoke! “Is it on fire ?” Says the wife? OMG ! So I haven’t checked the esc, But after touching 6v battery to the motors it seems both my motors are now dead! Yep like a dodo. No clue *** happened? My fuses are all intact. This thing is killing me ! I pray the sabertooth is ok. I have a set of back up motors but they are exactly the same and just as old. Am I screwed or will I be able to find something that will work ? The tank was built w these motors in mind. When I was a kid my parents had a money pit house. Now I have a money pit tank. Damn ! I wish I had bought a field of armor kit. I could have the entire running tank kit and had tech support.
i am thinking I may have to cut my losses and sell it as is ? Which will mean a huge loss no doubt. Damn ! Or find someone to pay to set it up properly?
Going to kick some sh&@ and goto bed
Just don't kick the tank, that will hurt!
I would check Amazon for Razer scooter motors if the replacements aren't acceptable. I just seen some with a sprocket on it for around $30ish and it was a 24V motor. I know Gary's motors were extremely powerful, do you have the link for those Gary? I'm currently on the prowl for some 24V motors too, not quite tank related but if I could put tracks on it you know I would!
Old 10-08-2018, 06:59 AM
Markocaster

Update, I took the tank over to Jerry’s and he diagnosed the problem for me. The motors were not blown, the original wiring on them was almost broken/worn all the way through, this was on the underside and not noticed till the motors were pulled. He replaced the section of bad wire and they worked ! Next I am going to replace all the wires on the motors and have another go at hooking it all up
A million thanks Jerry for sharing your time and knowledge with me!!!
Old 10-08-2018, 02:41 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Hey Mark anytime. We 1/10 scale dudes have to stick together...

Jerry
Old 10-08-2018, 07:53 PM
RC_BobM

Mark/Jerry
That is great news. A scratch built metal tank in Any scale is worth salvaging! Good work! Motor wires arcing to metal body would definitely cause some smoke! Great to hear nothing is permanently fried.
Bob
Old 10-09-2018, 12:42 PM
MAUS45

Told you Jerry the 1/10 Tank Guru would sort it out. Fantastic that the motors were not fried!!!
Old 10-20-2018, 03:56 PM
Markocaster

It’s taken a while due to my work schedule, but here we go new wire on the motors and capped off w liquid electric tape to cover the connections. Tomorrow I will try mounting them Fingers crossed !!!
Old 10-20-2018, 07:22 PM
RC_BobM

Marco
That ought to fix the arcing. Before you go to the trouble of mounting them in tank test them with the battery on the bench. They should run fine direct connected to battery. I cannot remember if these are 12v or 24v but you should test them out of the tank first. Just a thought....
Good luck!
Bob
Old 10-22-2018, 08:59 PM
Markocaster

Originally Posted by RC_BobM
Marco
That ought to fix the arcing. Before you go to the trouble of mounting them in tank test them with the battery on the bench. They should run fine direct connected to battery. I cannot remember if these are 12v or 24v but you should test them out of the tank first. Just a thought....
Good luck!
Bob
thanks for that Bob. I tested them and they seem good to go. Now the fun part getting them mounted , it’s a tight fit in there !
Old 10-23-2018, 09:12 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Markocaster

thanks for that Bob. I tested them and they seem good to go. Now the fun part getting them mounted , it’s a tight fit in there !
Mark, also don’t forget to put an insulating layer of thin plastic or the ‘fish paper’ I mentioned when we looked this over. This will go between the motors and the floor of the model as well as each of the motors. This should ensure that if the insulation on the motor post or of the wiring itself breaks down that any foreign object that falls down there will not cause a short. Since you are pushing potentially large currents, they are unforgiving.....

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 10-23-2018 at 09:15 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:26 PM
Markocaster

Originally Posted by Tanque

Mark, also don’t forget to put an insulating layer of thin plastic or the ‘fish paper’ I mentioned when we looked this over. This will go between the motors and the floor of the model as well as each of the motors. This should ensure that if the insulation on the motor post or of the wiring itself breaks down that any foreign object that falls down there will not cause a short. Since you are pushing potentially large currents, they are unforgiving.....

Jerry
Thanks Jerry. I will certainly do that! I don’t want any more puffs of smoke lol. I am hoping to get them in over the next few days. Seems like I never have free time. Cheers
Old 10-24-2018, 08:19 PM
RC_BobM

If you want electrical isolation I recommend Kapton tape. Its one of the best isolation material and is super thin. Taint cheap but really works. https://www.mcmaster.com/77595a44

With vibration I suppose the hull metal could wear through that rubber goo and even heat shrink and cause a short to the hull - apparently what happened to cause the smoke.. The Kapton is very abrasion resistant and will stay in place. I use it in industrial electrical isolation applications all the time.

Just a thought.
Bob
Old 10-31-2018, 07:06 PM
Markocaster

Insulation done , pleased with how it came out. And onto installing the motors...
...8 days later I am at a standstill !
the motors go in a bracket that is impossible to access in the tank. I can remove the bracket but that will also entail removing the floor and yes you guessed it that will require removing the front drive sprocket and axles. Every part is connected if only a little to another part Wow. It looks so easy and I am so close.
But it looks like bits and pieces before it is whole again
Man I know I will eventually get it but it’s kicking my butt lol.
edit. After dinner I had another look. Brainstorm 💡 using a sheet of cardboard I can hold the bolts in place while I put the brackets on the motors. Still thinking it out lol photos if it works

Last edited by Markocaster; 10-31-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:57 PM
Markocaster

It’s been a while, work seems to always get in the way with tank time. The beast is Alive now! Got the motors in and all hooked up , they may need a little tweaking to get the chain tension right but that’s straight forward. I also hooked up the IBU2PRO so far I have only got it to make the engine start up noise. Interesting I was gonna use a separate battery for the ibu2pro , but it works pulling power from the receiver I believe? I have never calibrated a radio like ibu2pro wants. It has a toggle #8 and then your supposed to move sticks and switches. Anyway I don’t seem to be doing this right? I have the flyskyfs-i6s
But nevertheless I am a very happy fella!
Thanks to Jerry and all of you that assisted me with your advice.
An update with photos soon 👍
cheers Mark
Old 01-08-2019, 04:36 PM
Markocaster

Went on a test run today. It blew the 10 amp fuse but after I put in a 15 it goes fast, nimble and for quite a long while. Spent about 30 minutes tearing up the front yard and busting through piles of leaves. This tank is amazing.
The next step is installing and getting sound from the ibu2pro 👍

its been a slow but extremely rewarding experience
love this thing 👍cheers
Mark
Old 01-14-2019, 02:45 PM
MAUS45

Congratulations on getting the beast running again. Have any photos of it in action?