Community
Search
Notices
RC Rock Crawlers The official rock crawling forum right here on RCU. Rock Crawler Trucks Rule!

Scale military build (I hope)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 08:53 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well after almost a year I dusted it off again as time flies when you aren't in a rush, and used most your free time, and disposable income on other things that are more important.

Did some things like spread epoxy over the PLA to strengthen it, and smooth out some of the seams I still gotta sand it flat though. I also added a exhaust pipe I had from the Tamiya body I destroyed in the 1st iteration of the body.
I made a spur gear cover. I 3d printed a tire I found on a site,and hollowed out a chamber for the spur gear to completely hide it, and screwed it to the back of the cab.

The other week I also added a front bumper I made out of PETG this thing can REALLY flex as I made 2 failures as I misjudged the distance from the bumper mount to where I needed it. So out of curiosity I decided to see how far it could bend, and honestly it flexed so far there is no way in hell it can break on this thing.

Then I also saw someone with a similar idea, and what they used for the rear, but to make it work I had to convert to leaf springs, and as I knew nothing about leaf springs I ordered the 1st pair on amazon I found

I also added the rear blue piece to cover the end of the 2 pipes I used for a frame extender, and to give something for the leafs to screw into. The halfass spacers between the frame, and leaf springs were made by recycling one of the failed front bumpers I mentioned above. I also made a piece that actually goes over the link mount point on the axles to screw the leafs into. I decided to ditch the other 2 links that I had on the top of the rear axle as with the leafs springs, and the 2 lower links it is solid.

Moving to links I lost a LOT of articulation, and to be honest I'm not 100% sure I installed em right as I only found one guide online which used hardware that looked close to what I had in the pack I bought Then again I might just have to break em in.

Anyways the rear will probably be made in the next month or so, and when it gets warmer I'll have to sand it down, and paint it.