Notices
RC Pattern Flying Discuss all topics pertaining to RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

Supra skybolt

Old 10-02-2018, 11:12 PM
MAVROS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by David Bathe
Get a grip man... the next thing, you'll be saying its cool to own and operate a YS... Luddite fashion.
Retro? Let's go forward instead.
I am going forward David......I have gone from the YS 160 to the YS 200CDI.
Cant wait for the new to come out.

Have you noticed that ELECTRIC guys always try to convince the IC guys to convert to battery but not the other way........Iam sure you can work it out.

PS When CPLR and YS retire then and only then the Batteries may win a WC .....or perhaps Another YS will take over

Happy flying
Old 10-03-2018, 03:31 AM
apereira

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MAVROS
I am going forward David......I have gone from the YS 160 to the YS 200CDI.
Cant wait for the new to come out.

Have you noticed that ELECTRIC guys always try to convince the IC guys to convert to battery but not the other way........Iam sure you can work it out.

PS When CPLR and YS retire then and only then the Batteries may win a WC .....or perhaps Another YS will take over

Happy flying
Like Tesuo Onda who just won...... one fact to support your comment

regards
Old 10-03-2018, 05:18 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

It's humor guys, a bit of YS leg pulling. don't take it so seriously.
We all love IC... Steam also has its followers.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:52 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Don't pull too hard... I worry about the low demand for YS engines and the future of their production.
The USA is probably 95% e-power in pattern (maybe more) which is okay because I think that electrics have really helped keep pilots involved in pattern, certainly here. I know a lot of 'mature' pattern fliers who appreciate the relative ease of operation of the 'E' pattern ship. Me, I'm a diehard glow guy and have been since I cranked my first Cox .049 back in the mid '60s, but I do see the appeal of electric power and I will admit that I would probably encourage a pattern newcomer to go in that direction.
I love CPLR's new Skybolt design, though I find all designs in the pattern world to be of interest; some are more appealing to me! I'm not so fond of the Trigantic, for example. I would love to get an all wood (probably have to be Japanese) kit of the Skybolt. Quite a departure from the 'Galactick' series that he has refined over the past several years.
Cheers Mates! Pattern rules!
-Will
Old 10-03-2018, 07:56 AM
Ekvien

It is not about the powerplant but about the pilot. Just that the 2 best in the world use YS could be a coincidence but.......... I start using electric motor in 2015 and would not go back but love to hear the power from an YS engine that works the best thing with this hobby is that you have options and could follow your personal preferences. If YS continue to make engines in the future I guess that we will have pilots from both worlds for many years ahead.
Old 10-03-2018, 11:43 AM
flywilly
My Feedback: (121)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey everyone!
The following is a quote from the electric pattern forum here on RCU. It is the last line which is notable, that the goal is to achieve the power and performance of the YS; still the standard of pattern performance.

"The long awaited BJ Craft X-Drive contra unit is here!! I have been waiting for this unit to install in my Eternity. It arrived the other day and I am now back home and can post the first look.

This is is a beautiful drive unit. The machining and workmanship is really outstanding. This is a twin belt drive, direct coupled contradrive unit with no clutch nor planetary gear system. Read that as low maintenance like the Adverrun. I think the Adverrun is the benchmark these days for power and simplicity. The X-Drive looks like it takes things a step further. It came with the custom BJ Force outrunner motor, beautiful pre-cut CF spinner, precise lightweight AL backplate and mounting system for the Eternity.

I did a weight check and it looks to be about equivalent to the first gen Adverrun at 655g. However, this may be even more powerful than that beast. If so, I can’t wait to get it flying.

B.J. said his goal was to match YS power and performance. Based on my Adverrun experience I think this is achievable."
Old 10-04-2018, 02:09 AM
serious power

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drac1
In case you haven't been paying attention, electric have not won a WC.

A good theory to practise is - If you haven't got anything constructive to say, maybe don't say anything. Just sayin'.

For all of us who have not been paying attention ;
Has a biplane won a WC ??

Brian
Old 10-04-2018, 02:35 AM
MAVROS

Yes and it was powered by a YS 200 not Batteries........
Old 10-04-2018, 02:39 AM
serious power

Qq !!
Old 10-04-2018, 03:15 AM
serious power

2014 & 2016 EC's won by battery power.

Maybe in 1987/8/9 somebody said a fourstroke has not won a WC.
He/she would have been correct but the past is not the same as the future.
Time will tell.

If the equipment ( whatever it may be) works it is or should be about pilot performance !!

Brian
Old 10-05-2018, 07:45 AM
David Bathe

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The YS brand reputation is actually as strong if not stronger than the engines. Imagine if they'd been awake and seen the writing on the wall a 15 years ago... and teamed up with a world class motor producer. We'd all be singing the praises of the latest YSE.
Old 10-07-2018, 06:31 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 175 Likes on 150 Posts

I wouldn't worry too much about the health of YS guys. YS is the preferred engine of warbird pylon racing. Those guys go through a lot of engines and keep the service center busy. It is not uncommon for the race guys to use 50% nitro either. Last warbird race here in Sacramento had 70 competitors including Tatsuo Yamada himself. The next one later this month is dubbed the Warbird Nationals is a 3 day event and is open to 100 entrants. YS is also a thriving choice for helicopters. IMO there are more YS engines in use today then when they were the preferred choice for pattern, just fewer of the large 4 strokes. IMO YS will always support F3A, that is where their roots are.
Old 10-07-2018, 08:49 PM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Supra Skybolt has flown.

The first flight went well. I copied the Xareltoo model settings and used that, which proved to be very close. 3, (fine), clicks of right aileron and some up elevator trim was all that was needed to get straight and level flight.
2 passes and I was feeling comfortable, so flew P19.
It goes up straight, but was pulling to the canopy on the down line. A bit more elevator in the mix and all good there.
I've adjusted the stab incidence now, which will eliminate the elevator trim.
More rudder was needed for stall turns and a touch more elevator throw added as well. Rolls were too quick, so aileron travel reduced. Snaps are OK, so will see how it goes from here.

For such a large plane, it uses less energy which is surprising. But in line with what Christophe Paysant-Le Roux says as well.

10 flights on it now and really looking forward to more flying and fine tuning the trimming.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:53 PM
MAVROS

Smile

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I wouldn't worry too much about the health of YS guys. YS is the preferred engine of warbird pylon racing. Those guys go through a lot of engines and keep the service center busy. It is not uncommon for the race guys to use 50% nitro either. Last warbird race here in Sacramento had 70 competitors including Tatsuo Yamada himself. The next one later this month is dubbed the Warbird Nationals is a 3 day event and is open to 100 entrants. YS is also a thriving choice for helicopters. IMO there are more YS engines in use today then when they were the preferred choice for pattern, just fewer of the large 4 strokes. IMO YS will always support F3A, that is where their roots are.
WELL SAID,.........so concentrate on improving your flying and don't worry about what power plant other people use.

Now where is that HYBRID design ?
Old 10-09-2018, 03:54 PM
MAVROS

Nice.......
Old 10-09-2018, 03:57 PM
Cessna dude

Nice birds!
Old 10-23-2018, 12:32 AM
drac1
My Feedback: (4)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Getting some stick time on the Skybolt. 44 flights now and it's flying great.
A couple of small adjustments this morning and I'm now very happy with the way it flys and feels in the air.
It needs to be flown a bit faster than my Xareltoo. Now I'm used to the flying speed, it feels very stable and solid. Vertical uplines look amazing. Just locks in and goes up dead straight.
And the YS 200 is running perfect 😎

The more I fly it, the more I like it.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:10 AM
Arnaud POYET

Very nice pictures. ;-)