Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Tuning JP Brakes?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Tuning JP Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 02:25 PM
Dave Wave

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning JP Brakes?

I installed a set of JP electric brakes on my new build. I set them up on a 3 position switch, so I could have off, mid and max braking. I adjusted the EPs in an effort to achieve this. However, I get no braking at mid, until I go to max, if I go back to mid from max, I get medium braking.

Max works fine on its own (locks the wheel pretty much).

I would like to be able to go from off to mid, so I wont lock the wheels on landing.

Any ideas?
Old 05-12-2019, 02:36 PM
jet-lover

I know this is not the answer you are looking for but I use an Assan AG63 gyro which controls the nose wheel and the left and right brakes.

Works perfectly at keeping the aircraft in a straight line under heavy braking.

Personally I find a the need the brakes on full or not at all.

Just food for thought!
Old 05-12-2019, 03:05 PM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 82 Likes on 71 Posts

The Jp controller is a poor design.
I use the Xicoy brake controller it works great
Old 05-12-2019, 04:10 PM
Len
My Feedback: (3)

Originally Posted by Bob_B
Agreed, and if you have a terribly mismatched set of brakes, like I have, then you can use two Xicoy controllers and mix them on separate channels to get straight braking. Oddly enough the two Xicoy’s are less money than most single brake controllers!
Len
Old 05-12-2019, 04:15 PM
jet-lover

Originally Posted by Len

Agreed, and if you have a terribly mismatched set of brakes, like I have, then you can use two Xicoy controllers and mix them on separate channels to get straight braking. Oddly enough the two Xicoy’s are less money than most single brake controllers!
Len
or you can use the Assan AG63 brake gyro which automatically adjusts the brake voltage on each brake to keep the plane straight.

Much cheaper and more effective.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:24 AM
BarracudaHockey

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Agreed, the Xicoy works great.

I have experimented with just about every brake method when I had a jet column and flying others models and I have found that down elevator is the easiest way to apply brakes while landing. The only time I found a lever or maybe what you're doing more effective, is when you have a short runway and really need to pre-load the brakes a bit but even that could be done with a mix while still using the down elevator for brake application.

Just my .02
Old 05-13-2019, 03:48 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 159 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wave
I installed a set of JP electric brakes on my new build. I set them up on a 3 position switch, so I could have off, mid and max braking. I adjusted the EPs in an effort to achieve this. However, I get no braking at mid, until I go to max, if I go back to mid from max, I get medium braking.

Max works fine on its own (locks the wheel pretty much).

I would like to be able to go from off to mid, so I wont lock the wheels on landing.

Any ideas?
While their controller seem a poor design, something they also put 3-4 magnets (little strong bugger) to hold the disk I’m guessing to reduce friction.....

I have since removed all those magnets by taking the wheel apart and punching them out, on the 3 set of JP brake I have....and that help in getting some brakes at low to mid point, I’m on a slider so my result may be different.....I also change 2 of them to the Xicoy controller with the Gyro...
Old 05-13-2019, 03:52 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

Get yourself a xicoy LGC15 and solve your braking. Had relatively the same issues. Went thru 3 other controllers before the LGC 15. It has a gyro and if the plane starts going to the side, it lets off on the offending brake and also uses the nose wheel to also correct. It takes a bit of programming. But, It solve my brake problems even in my very light Ultra Flash. Make sure you get one that is either for your retracts or an open programming one so you can tailor it to your specific retracts. I got my open programming ones from PacificRC.
Old 09-14-2019, 11:40 PM
hot dog

I just got a xicoy controller blue light comes on nothing happens no diagram on how to hook up wheel wires piece of crap
Old 09-15-2019, 02:43 AM
Bob_B

It’s simple match the power input.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:36 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by hot dog
I just got a xicoy controller blue light comes on nothing happens no diagram on how to hook up wheel wires piece of crap
Which controller....I don’t think you have the LG15...
Old 09-15-2019, 04:18 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

The directions for the LGC 15 and the labels on the controller's output make it foolproof. Granted, you have to be able to read and take the time to read the manual. I set mine up on the bench and programmed it. It took a couple hours, but the time was well spent. I have great even controlled braking on both my jets that have it in them.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:20 AM
Dansy

Originally Posted by Len Todd
The directions for the LGC 15 and the labels on the controller's output make it foolproof. Granted, you have to be able to read and take the time to read the manual. I set mine up on the bench and programmed it. It took a couple hours, but the time was well spent. I have great even controlled braking on both my jets that have it in them.
He said he’s got a blue light.....so it’s not the LG15...

So its either 12 or 13....and they can’t be programmed as far as I know.....
Old 09-15-2019, 04:59 AM
Bob_B

He’s referring to the stand alone brake controller. When you activate the brake function a blue LED lights up.

You have to replace the plug that comes on the JP brake line with a std servo plug.
The red wire goes where you normally would see the signal wire in the plug. That why I told him to match the input power.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:39 AM
hot dog

He’s referring to the stand alone brake controller. When you activate the brake function a blue LED lights up.

You have to replace the plug that comes on the JP brake line with a std servo plug.
The red wire goes where you normally would see the signal wire in the plug. That why I told him to match the input power.
The blue light gets brighter as I move slider switch but nothing works I did not get no instruction with Controller my question is how do you plug in I think I have tried upright side ways there is only two wires coming off each wheel ?
Old 09-15-2019, 09:03 AM
Bob_B

Pic
Old 09-15-2019, 09:07 AM
Bob_B

Old 09-15-2019, 09:26 AM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It programs with that little button in the middle. I think there are five choices. You need to toggle through them.
John
Old 09-15-2019, 09:38 AM
Dieselman1220
My Feedback: (25)

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

This looks like a nice unit to use with my new ultra flash Evo.
Am I reading correctly that I can tie in the rudder and nose steering with this unit and free up a channel on my receiver?
Old 09-15-2019, 09:52 AM
hot dog

Pic
Thanks for help but not exactly sure what I am seeing is blue wire negative, red wire positive and are they plugged sideways ,is that a different plug ? Why did you separate wires ?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:06 AM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The controller is wired with the pos and neg in the two outside servo lead locations. The brake unit has the pos and neg next to each other. Hence you need an adapter of some sort on the extension to change the pos wire. I just moved the wire over on a typical extension and placed in series. This unit only controls brakes. The LC15(?) has a gyro and will pulse the brakes in time with the gyro to make the braking happen straight buy controlling the brake action on each brake.
John
Old 10-20-2019, 05:09 PM
[email protected]

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Nice Fix

Originally Posted by Dansy

While their controller seem a poor design, something they also put 3-4 magnets (little strong bugger) to hold the disk I’m guessing to reduce friction.....

I have since removed all those magnets by taking the wheel apart and punching them out, on the 3 set of JP brake I have....and that help in getting some brakes at low to mid point, I’m on a slider so my result may be different.....I also change 2 of them to the Xicoy controller with the Gyro...
I removed those pesky magnets. For the first time ever I had a nice braking action. Smooth with no lockups. I wanted to say thank you for a great idea and fix.
Dan
Old 10-20-2019, 05:14 PM
Dansy

Not really my idea....just passing info along, after doing it myself..
Old 10-20-2019, 09:13 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 733 Likes on 529 Posts

On my Joker I found there was a difference between the two wheels holding power, taking it apart I found several thin shim washers, on the side that did not hold as well I took two washers out and found this gave me even braking.
Old 06-09-2020, 12:04 AM
BashaBolla

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi
I am using JP wheels and brakes on a plane that has Electron retracts and uses an RB45 Electron controller for the retracts plus the JP brake controller for the brakes.
I currently have it set up using the JP brake controller on a separate channel but would like to plug the brakes into the RB45 and get rid of the JP controller ( and save a channel ) - has anyone done this ? does it work ?
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.