Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Turbinator (V2) Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Turbinator (V2) Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 02:46 AM
TPerk
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are right, using a mix is not good for a jet engine plane. If the mix comes in to play before the engine builds up thrust, that will be a problem. Thank you for your post.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:48 AM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have trouble seeing a 1%-2% throttle to elevator mix causing a problem
As in F3A planes, mechanical adjustments first and then small mixes to fine tune.
As my Turbinator (v1 prototype, very low downthrust angle) has a Cheetah (lots of throttle climb), I'll try the mix in the spring when flying season starts again
If it splats on a throttle up go around, I'll post back here
Old 12-19-2016, 10:55 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 2walla
Dont use the mix.. On a low around and you punch it. Immediate pitch down and splat....get the thrust angle right and go fly..
Concur, don't use a mix. With every throttle change the mix would be instantaneous while the actual throttle response would lag, creating problems rather than solving them.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:09 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
I have trouble seeing a 1%-2% throttle to elevator mix causing a problem
As in F3A planes, mechanical adjustments first and then small mixes to fine tune.
As my Turbinator (v1 prototype, very low downthrust angle) has a Cheetah (lots of throttle climb), I'll try the mix in the spring when flying season starts again
If it splats on a throttle up go around, I'll post back here
It's your airplane of course but I suggest you not follow through with that plan. Electric motors react much more quickly than turbines, making solutions for the former quite different from the latter.

The thrust angle solution exactly proportional, in sync with the cause of the problem, and time proven over hundreds of installations.

A throttle-elevator mix will be both out of sync with the thrust and vary with airspeed, creating two new problems while solving none.
Old 01-23-2017, 04:07 AM
TPerk

HI George, I am getting closer to having my Turbinator ready to fly, I did a balance test and I need 1lb 5oz of lead to get her balances at 7" on the CG, the batteries are a lipo and a life battery it looks like I will have 3lbs in the noise between the batteries and the lead to get her to balance out. I have the betties in the noise and the lead up there as well. It looks like you did not need so much noise weight. May I ask how you got the lead to fit in the holes you drilled out?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20170119_103315.jpg
Views:	3563
Size:	4.62 MB
ID:	2197835  
Old 01-24-2017, 04:34 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TPerk
HI George, I am getting closer to having my Turbinator ready to fly, I did a balance test and I need 1lb 5oz of lead to get her balances at 7" on the CG, the batteries are a lipo and a life battery it looks like I will have 3lbs in the noise between the batteries and the lead to get her to balance out. I have the betties in the noise and the lead up there as well. It looks like you did not need so much noise weight. May I ask how you got the lead to fit in the holes you drilled out?
I melted the lead in a spoon and poured it into the holes I bored.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:14 PM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

Hey George, building a turbinator V2 for a client. Glad to see your working on this thrust issue. I am going to go ahead and modify and add 15 degrees with a small JC Rabbit. I am glad I ran across this thread as I am literally installing the rails next. By the way, I also think the gyro will help from the nose climbing.
Old 01-24-2017, 03:05 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad I could help Danny, but that the V2 should be a piece of cake for you!!
Old 01-24-2017, 03:47 PM
PowerBoxDanny
My Feedback: (47)

Easy build but still takes all the normal kind of work and tedious components. A little bit of Flightwerkz bling. Will post some pics later.
Old 01-29-2017, 08:19 AM
TPerk

I am just wondering how much weight was needed to balance the turbinator including your batteries? I will have 3lbs 1.5 oz of weight in the nose including the batteries in that weight of 3lbs 1,5 oz, that seem like a lot of weight, I guess it is what it is. I am balancing it at 7" back from l e.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:35 PM
rcmigpilot
My Feedback: (26)

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I am just wondering how much weight was needed to balance the turbinator including your batteries? I will have 3lbs 1.5 oz of weight in the nose including the batteries in that weight of 3lbs 1,5 oz, that seem like a lot of weight, I guess it is what it is. I am balancing it at 7" back from l e.
You might be a little on the high side with weight, but not way out. Mine has 28oz of lead along with two 2600 A123s, and a 2S, 4,000 LiPo pack and is balanced in the middle of the CG range. I'm running a relatively light engine (JC Rabbit) and took steps to put everything as far forward as possible.
Old 01-30-2017, 03:05 AM
TPerk

Thank for the replay, I have a King Tech 120, the engines weight is all most 3Lbs I used lead shot and epoxy for most of the weight and I will use a stick on weight to finest the balance, so if in need to take out some weight after my first flight I can remove some weight. I added some great stuff foam to seal the epoxy and lead shot mix I had added to the nose.

Name:	20170129_150653[1].jpg
Views:	3306
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	2198976  
Old 01-30-2017, 07:31 AM
rcmigpilot

Thank for the replay, I have a King Tech 120, the engines weight is all most 3Lbs I used lead shot and epoxy for most of the weight and I will use a stick on weight to finest the balance, so if in need to take out some weight after my first flight I can remove some weight. I added some great stuff foam to seal the epoxy and lead shot mix I had added to the nose.
Your engine is almost a pound heavier than mine so that accounts for some of the weight. I don't remember the exact measurement, but my CG is in the middle of the range so that would probably account for the rest. Yours should fly great with the 120, my Rabbit is an older version that puts out 19lbs that I got for a smokin price, but sometime I wish I had more power. If I were to do it again I would go with at least 22lbs. It's a great flying plane, great everyday sport flyer.
Old 01-31-2017, 02:46 AM
TPerk

This will be my first real jet and I am looking forward to flying her with the K T 120, the 120 puts out 27lbs of thrust so taking off a grass field should not be a problem, I think.
May I ask how much flap do you use for landing, does she slow down good for landing, or do you need to come in hot and fast. Any advice on land or any thing else you care to add would be great. Here is the lay out of the inside my Turbinator the large air tank takes up a lot of room in the front of the
plane.

Name:	20170127_044405[1].jpg
Views:	3405
Size:	4.41 MB
ID:	2199115   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170130_143422[1].jpg
Views:	3332
Size:	2.22 MB
ID:	2199116  
Old 01-31-2017, 08:14 AM
rcmigpilot

This will be my first real jet and I am looking forward to flying her with the K T 120, the 120 puts out 27lbs of thrust so taking off a grass field should not be a problem, I think.
May I ask how much flap do you use for landing, does she slow down good for landing, or do you need to come in hot and fast. Any advice on land or any thing else you care to add would be great. Here is the lay out of the inside my Turbinator the large air tank takes up a lot of room in the front of the
plane.
I see one reason you needed more weight to balance than mine, I used a smaller air tank and put it under the radio plate, just in front of the fuel tank. It sticks into the inlets a bit but not much. By doing this I was able to mount my UAT at the very front of the main hatch area. Since I should always land with that full I balanced with it full. You won't have any issues.

Mine is 23lbs (I think) with 19lbs of thrust and takes off in about 200' off grass, you will have no problem. I used the throws from the manual (half flaps on take off) and if you come in hot you're going around unless you have a thousand feet or more to slow down. I fly my base leg at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle (you'll probably use less as you have more power), come across the end of the runway 10' or so high, cut power to idle and have the plane stopped, w/o brakes, by the middle of our 700' grass runway. The Turbinator is tied with my baby boomerang for the easiest to fly jet I've ever flown.

Last edited by rcmigpilot; 01-31-2017 at 08:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:43 AM
TPerk

I am getting close to finishing my Turbinator and I need to set some down elevator mix with the flaps, may I ask how much down elevator are you guys using for half and full flap. I just need a good starting point and I will adjust the mix after I get a couple of flights on her. I balanced the plane 7" back on CG and I balanced it up side down, that seems to be better then right side up, I seem to be able to get a better balance point with the plane up side down.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:04 AM
rcmigpilot

I am getting close to finishing my Turbinator and I need to set some down elevator mix with the flaps, may I ask how much down elevator are you guys using for half and full flap. I just need a good starting point and I will adjust the mix after I get a couple of flights on her. I balanced the plane 7" back on CG and I balanced it up side down, that seems to be better then right side up, I seem to be able to get a better balance point with the plane up side down.
My elevator to flap mix is easy, none. The only mix in my plane is rudder to steering. If it balloons when you drop the flaps you're going too fast. Remember, this plane was originally designed by one of the best model aircraft designers of all time and has no bad habits that I've found. Don't over think it, Turbinators are pretty much turbine powered ugly sticks. Use good servos, good linkages and balance it where the manual says and you'll have a nice, solid plane that is a great everyday flier. Not trying to sound like a fanboy, I just really like this plane. For the last few months it's the only thing I pull out of the trailer.
Old 04-01-2017, 10:51 AM
TPerk

Up date on my trubinator. I was able to get my first flight in a few days ago, this plane flies great. I only added 6o down thrust to the engine. I flew her at a bit more then 1/2 throttle and some full throttle passes down the field and I did not see the plane rise up at full throttle, so I guess Larry from boomerabg rc jets was right no need for a 15o down thrush, for what ever it is worth. I have a 120 kingtech in her, nice engine.

Last edited by TPerk; 04-01-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:07 PM
ltc
My Feedback: (3)

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Up date on my trubinator. I was able to get my first flight in a few days ago, this plane flies great. I only added 6o down thrust to the engine. I flew her at a bit more then 1/2 throttle and some full throttle passes down the field and I did not see the plane rise up at full throttle, so I guess Larry from boomerabg rc jets was right no need for a 15o down thrush, for what ever it is worth. I have a 120 kingtech in her, nice engine.
I believe the V2 had additional downthrust added compared to the prototype V1 Turbinators.
What is your total downthrust (including your 6 degree added)?
Can you make a measurement or post a picture?
Old 04-01-2017, 12:09 PM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Congratulations!!

What's the dry weight?
Old 04-02-2017, 04:22 AM
TPerk

My Turbinator came out to be 24 lbs. dry and take off weight is 32 lbs.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:49 AM
CARS II
My Feedback: (7)

Received 123 Likes on 106 Posts

Not bad at all.

Tks.
Old 04-03-2017, 03:26 AM
TPerk

I set up my jet on a stand and checked to make the wings were level, then rechecked engine mount for down thrust, just to make sure I was right about how much the down thrust is on my jet and yes I have it set at 6o total down thrust. I also check the built in down thrust and it comes with 2o down thrust built in to the engine mount . I am not trying to say any one is wrong about using 15o down thrust, but my jet files great with 6o total down thrust and she did not seem to noise up at full throttle. I set it up with the 6o down thrust after talking with Larry from Boomerang Jets, he has less the 6o down thrust in the one he uses for flight demo at the jet rallies he goes to.

Name:	20170403_064416.jpg
Views:	3258
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	2208255  
Old 05-18-2017, 03:21 AM
TPerk

Hi All, Has any one been flying there Turbinator ? I am sure all of the guys that have posted on here must have had some flight on there jet, how are you guys making out? I got my Turbine waver a couple of weeks ago, Andy Kane from Carf Models and Dennis Blades was kind enough to sing off on my turbine Waver at the Hurlock Md Jet Event, Yahoo. LOL
I have had 5 flights in so far and I am having a bit of a hard time remembering to keep the power up on landing, but I am getting there. I hope to hear back from all of you. Here is a link to some photos from the Hurlock Md jet event. Larry and Steve from Boomerang Jets was at the Event, Very nice guys. Larry brought a Turnbinater and was kind enough to buddy box any one that wanted to fly a Jet.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4fwq3r7p0...7O__Jfe5a?dl=0
Old 05-18-2017, 04:14 AM
rcmigpilot

I have several dozen flights on mine with an original 19lb thrust Rabbit, nice flying plane with no bad habbits. Only issues I've had have been with the poor quality of the cheap Chinese plywood that's used for the LG mounts. I had a rough landing a few weeks ago at Mississippi Afterburner that should have hurt my pride and nothing else, but the nose gear former came apart. Not a difficult fix, but something I shouldn't have to do. Two layers of 1/8" lite ply is no substitute for real 1/4" aircraft ply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.