Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hobby King turbine!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hobby King turbine!

Old 06-30-2012, 02:49 PM
shorty55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hobby King turbine!

Just seen this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0kGJ...em-uploademail

Have to keep an eye on this!

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Hobby King turbine!

Have to keep an eye on two things.

The price - Kingtech have lowered the bar for a reliable turbine that works fine out of the box.

Service - I'm sure this won't be so cheap that they can continue their current service policy of NO service.

John.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:54 PM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the Cat !!!!!!!

Danno
Old 06-30-2012, 05:20 PM
more

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Smaller size than I thought.May be it's a 6 kg. turbine.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:30 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Boomerang1

Have to keep an eye on two things.

The price - Kingtech have lowered the bar for a reliable turbine that works fine out of the box.

Service - I'm sure this won't be so cheap that they can continue their current service policy of NO service.

John.
PLUS ONE, BIG TIME.

I am sure a flamer will log on soon enuff to say "HK is awesome and their detractors are full of it", but there are plenty of us who've been repeatedly burned by HK.

If someone buys a turbine from them then they should consider it both disposable and a safety hazard.

Flame away, HK fans.

Don.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:02 PM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good luck with the HK service. I have purchased a number items from HK, edf planes, prop planes, and motors. I have only receive two items, both escs, that worked perfectly out of the box. Everything else had damaged, and took it HK a minimum of one month to address the one issue that was finally resolved. Maybe their turbine will be fine, but do you really want to take a chance on the service/support provided for the engine. DO YOU FEEL THAT LUCKY! If so, maybe you can suggest some winning lottery number, LOL. [8D]
Old 06-30-2012, 07:37 PM
rcjetsaok

ORIGINAL: David Jackson

Maybe their turbine will be fine, but do you really want to take a chance on the service/support provided for the engine. DO YOU FEEL THAT LUCKY! If so, maybe you can suggest some winning lottery number, LOL. [8D]

Was that 6 shots or just 5...... Do you feel lucky... PUNK !!!!!! - " I got-sta know !!!! "[&o]

I'll pass, I don't need any part of that operation !!!

Danno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBJzJgYjto
Old 06-30-2012, 07:44 PM
megafly

I have 80+ orders from Hobbyking and only a motor that doesn't worked so far...
But... I don't know if I will pull the trigger on a HK turbine...
Old 06-30-2012, 07:52 PM
RCJetBazz

This hits the market, before long, goes our privilege for turbine flying []

D.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:54 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kind of looks like it could be based on the Jetcat P60.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:06 PM
jetster81

ORIGINAL: RCJetBazz

D.
?
Old 06-30-2012, 09:18 PM
RCJetBazz

can't you imaging the consequence of masssively distributed cheap and unreliable turbine engines, with no support

ORIGINAL: jetster81

D.
?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:23 PM
jetster81

can't you imaging the consequence of masssively distributed cheap and unreliable turbine engines, with no support

D.
?
I can agree with the cheap but how do you know that it will be unreliable and without support? lets not bash until it has been tried and tested.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:48 PM
DelGatoGrande
My Feedback: (23)

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

...pay cheap=pay double,and in case of turbines pay with injury too..good luck to all the test dummies out there
Old 07-01-2012, 01:04 AM
DominicM

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I think HK have done a smart thing by sending it to the RCModelReviews chap. Based on all his other work we can be fairly sure he'll give an unbiased view of the unit and what it can do. Think I read he's a first time turbine user but he's a superb engineer. Price will dictate how well these sell. Looks to me like it would fit in a large 90mm/120mm EDF jet.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:09 AM
Jim Cattanach

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When will this be available?
Old 07-01-2012, 03:10 AM
snir2001
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I fly JetCat and JetJoe (yes, the chines one...)
About the JetCat, nothing to say, PERFECT!
But with the JJ I had some problems at the start (JJ1800) but the service was the best I have seen ever, so after some time (and changing the turbine twice) I got JJ300 that works flawlessly.
I'm sure that HK are doing the home work to send out to the market a well tested turbine.
I'm also sure it will be reliable and again, many modelers will have the opportunity to have a JET.
About the service, I don't know, never need it from them...
I'll not be the first, but if it's as I think, I sure to buy one in the future.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:40 AM
up_in_smoke

servis and back from hk thats got to be the best joke of this centry
Old 07-01-2012, 05:49 AM
topspin

ORIGINAL: megafly

I have 80+ orders from Hobbyking and only a motor that doesn't worked so far...
But... I don't know if I will pull the trigger on a HK turbine...

I have a googalplex of orders from Hobby King and every time I open the box Beams of light come out and I hear angels singing and the sun comes out, even at night.

Now to get real, who cares how many orders you have from anyone? I mean really? We are talking about a turbine engine here and a company with a less than poor track record for quality and customer service.

As far as I can see the only people who will buy these motors are the ones who shouldn't even have one. And no liability when they get hurt.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:04 AM
rcjetsaok

If they end up that bad, can they be banned in the U.S. ??? ( AMA, FAA, Big Brother ) ??? If there is a safety issue, I promise you every ambulance chasing Attorney in the U.S. will be buying stock in H.K. !!!! [X(]

D
Old 07-01-2012, 06:18 AM
TimWatson
Banned

So you all know so much before you have even see it run. Looks an interesting size
Old 07-01-2012, 06:26 AM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

D.
?
I can agree with the cheap but how do you know that it will be unreliable and without support? lets not bash until it has been tried and tested.

HELLO? We know it will be cheap, unreliable, and without support because it's HK. Hobby King is to RC as Burger King is to cuisine. Cheap prices which are ultimately bad for you.

A crappy battery or cheap electric motor is bad enough. A cheaply made turbine is potentially lethal.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:57 AM
Pepperpete

If it wasn't for HK I would never have progressed to the point that I could fly a turbine in the first place. They offered batteries and components that were affordable and showed just how much the American companies where laughing all the way to the bank. I've had a number of orders that were great and a few that were questionable but smashing everything about HK shows ignorance. Our entire club (60+ people) use HK items often without problems and we save a considerable amount of money by doing so. Last time I checked planes arn't falling out of the sky nor are the batteries exploding after two flights bla bla.

Thier customer service is terrible but writing off product A or B without seeing proper reviews etc is just close minded. HK needs to drastically increase thier customer service and I really can't deny that but other companies like FEJ get a pass on being outright crap companies, so why is this different? There is no reason that HK couldn't shift focus towards customer service just like FEJ has been trying to improve thier terrible product line.

You guys go ahead and keep up your fear mongering. Let the rest of us "stupid and undeserved to have a turbine" people keep our minds open to new possibilities. I've flown turbines from Jetcat/Kingtech etc etc and I'm sure at some point this will be something I test as well.

Old 07-01-2012, 07:25 AM
rpm303
My Feedback: (18)

With all the bashing going on here, I thought i was at a UFC fight.

With all new products coming to market, I am sure there is going to be some issues. It is what HK does with customer feedback and concerns that will make it or brake it.
I remember seeing a king tech rep having hot starts with his new 170 every time he started it. So i dont Expect HK turbine to be perfect out of the box either.
One thing i know HK lacks in is quality instructions or the lack of instructions at all. When bruce pulled out all the packaging, I dont think i saw any paper work.
Dont think anyone will have much success without proper instructions, especially with radio setup.

I will wait and see how this all shakes out before i make an opinion either way.
I do know one thing, I will never buy one of their turbines unless there is a US service center. It makes no sense to waist all the time and money in shipping for repairs

Bob
Old 07-01-2012, 07:53 AM
marquisvns

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rpm303

With all the bashing going on here, I thought i was at a UFC fight.

With all new products coming to market, I am sure there is going to be some issues. It is what HK does with customer feedback and concerns that will make it or brake it.
I remember seeing a king tech rep having hot starts with his new 170 every time he started it. So i dont Expect HK turbine to be perfect out of the box either.
One thing i know HK lacks in is quality instructions or the lack of instructions at all. When bruce pulled out all the packaging, I dont think i saw any paper work.
Dont think anyone will have much success without proper instructions, especially with radio setup.

I will wait and see how this all shakes out before i make an opinion either way.
I do know one thing, I will never buy one of their turbines unless there is a US service center. It makes no sense to waist all the time and money in shipping for repairs

Bob
Hi Bob, I think I am the only KingTech rep with K-170 hot starts when it first came out, and that's because I run nothing but Diesel, which is potentially challenging. #266 K-170F now starts flawlessly even with Diesel, with only spirally blue flame at most. I don't know who you are, but if you are local, I'd be happy to demonstrate, also if it wasn't me and my F-22, let me know, I think we need to give him a hand : )

Cheers,
Barry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.