Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hobby King turbine!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hobby King turbine!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:13 AM
gatorbait2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Hobby King turbine!

ORIGINAL: NZjet

Finally sombody else not afraid to speak out about bruce simpson! I know him personally and what you have wrote is exactly the man he is.
ORIGINAL: gatorbait2

ORIGINAL: DominicM

I think HK have done a smart thing by sending it to the RCModelReviews chap. Based on all his other work we can be fairly sure he'll give an unbiased view of the unit and what it can do. Think I read he's a first time turbine user but he's a superb engineer. Price will dictate how well these sell. Looks to me like it would fit in a large 90mm/120mm EDF jet.
Sorry, but Bruce Simpson, also known as Xjet, and RCmodelReviews, is not a superb engineer, or an unbiased reviewer.
He is a paid employee of Hobby King, and he received this engine for free.
He makes his money from the stuff he gets for free from Hobby King, and from the money he makes from his Youtube videos, mostly promoting HobbyKing stuff.
He just lost his field for his club, with his glory hunting stunts.
The NZ Jet community cannot stand him.
He has a long history of ripping people off, selling pulsejet engines and plans, and never delivering them.
He declared bankruptcy once before, for not paying taxes.
And no matter what happens, he is never at fault, just ask him.
He lost the field for his club, and it's a bunch of ''Fun police'' who feel he is a ''tall poppy'' and want to cut him down.
I'm sure a bunch of HobbyKing fanbois will report this post and get it removed, oh well.
You can read more about the truth of Bruce on rctruth, they have no sponsors there, they say the truth there.
That's the real Bruce Simpson. He's not an engineer, and he's never run or flown a turbine before. He's just a paid salesman.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:16 AM
gatorbait2

Okay, where's the x-ray certificate for the wheel of this HK turbine? Oh, there isn't one.
The parts are not made in Europe, they want to hint that Jetcat made this turbine, but ask Jetcat, they have nothing to do with this.
And they showed a completely different turbine a few months ago, when they first showed pictures.
So if you want to believe the HK stories, that's fine, but know they simply don't tell the truth.
They talk all the time about having developed or flown this model or that, most of them, they never even flew, and most of them, they just bought from other companies, they don't develop them themselves.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:19 AM
jetster81

ORIGINAL: Xairflyer

As I have said on other threads before, it is not difficult now to get a simple reliable turbine mechanics right, there are only 3 crucial components, compressor NGV and turbine wheel, the rest are easy to make and duplicate with CNC equipment and forming tools.

The compressor can, like many turbine manufacturers used for years (before the new shiny machined versions) be off the shelf turbo compressors, so that only leaves two components, and the thing to do here is, buy them ready made and tested from someone else.
Hobbyking have hinted that major components will be coming from europe, so maybe that is what they have done.

So if they buy in NGV/turbine wheel sets and off the shelf compressor, there is no reason(excuse) for the mechanics of the turbine not to be spot on.

The electronics can be a different matter, I can't understand why they apparently have been delayed the past year getting the software sorted.
I know HK probably have loads of electronic companies making stuff for them and maybe wanted to build their own, but unless you are going to do something different, which again was hinted by the first picture we seen which showed a ECU with integrated LCD screen, (however the ECU on the video is nothing like that and has an external HDT like others) then there is no real point, use something already out there.

This I think is a mistake, would have been much better to have used a reliable and well know ECU like the Xicoy FADEC, and had one area solved straight away, just like Wren, Jet Central, Kingtech and others have done.
Along with having one area sorted in producing your new turbine you would also gain from Gaspers vast knowledge on setting it up.
Years down the road they could have introduced their own if they felt it was better or cheaper produced.

It will be interesting to see, they can do it if they go about it the right way, turbines CAN be produced at a much lower cost as I am sure HK will be thinking big numbers and probably 95% of the customers will never have owned a jet before or ever read this forum.

As already pointed out spares and backup may be an issue, I would be happy with spares availability as getting them serviced wont be an issue somewhere else so long as you can get the bits needed to do the repair/service.
At last some sense on this issue

Old 07-02-2012, 04:46 AM
damagedgoodes

As Gerry said cost of producing and selling price are two different things.

Take for example Comp ARF, if I want to buy their 2.6m Extra 260 it will cost me $1940 AUD but if I want to buy their Ultra Flash it will cost me $2590 AUD. I would say that these two models would be a similar cost to manufacture. I guess I'm paying $650 extra on the Flash to keep the lower skilled fliers and assemblers out of hobby to make it better and safer for me...

I'm tired of paying premium prices just because it has the word 'jet' attached. It's a kin to saying 'wedding' where the price is ramped up because 'well obviously you can afford it or you wouldn't be doing it'.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:48 AM
Duncan

I think HK have done a smart thing by sending it to the RCModelReviews chap. Based on all his other work we can be fairly sure he'll give an unbiased view of the unit and what it can do. Think I read he's a first time turbine user but he's a superb engineer. Price will dictate how well these sell. Looks to me like it would fit in a large 90mm/120mm EDF jet.
Dom going on past history you would probably try to fit one in a 90mm EDF jet, but that's P20 territory really
I did think it looked a little big to be a 80 sized unit, but looking at my M100 it's not to different in size.

The fact that Bruce didn't know what the kero plug was until the edit, does make you wonder how someone can review a turbine when they have no experience of using them. So for someone who is very net savy like Bruce is, you would of expected to A: of known what it was if he had an interest in turbines. B: of done a bit of research if he didn't have any experience as soon as he knew that he was going to do a review.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:51 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Just on the price another "hint" (used a lot in the past year or so) to quote Anthony Hand from HK "Our target price is at around 60% of current US pricing for Mexican units."
Wonder why the mexican unit was used as comparison i.e. Jet Central

If so looking at size in video, (hard to know how big Bruces hands are) it will either be the Bee $2600 or the Rabbit $2800, so going on those two it is going to be around $1500 if a 15lb turbine or $1700 if a 22lb turbine
Old 07-02-2012, 04:55 AM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Duncan

Dom going on past history you would probably try to fit one in a 90mm EDF jet, but that's P20 territory really
I did think it looked a little big to be a 80 sized unit, but looking at my M100 it's not to different in size.

The fact that Bruce didn't know what the kero plug was until the edit, does make you wonder how someone can review a turbine when they have no experience of using them. So for someone who is very net savy like Bruce is, you would of expected to A: of known what it was if he had an interest in turbines. B: of done a bit of research if he didn't have any experience as soon as he knew that he was going to do a review.

I saw a box opening. Is there a actual review of the product? Maybe there is another video I did not see...

Gerry
Old 07-02-2012, 05:10 AM
CastorTroy2150
My Feedback: (10)

Look, I am by no means a resident expert on turbines, or anything else for that matter...but here is what I DO know. Years ago, American fan boys had nothing better to do than bash Honda,Mitsubishi, Hyundai, and other companies who were,1. Asia/foreign made, 2. "Cheap and or unreliable." So here is the reality, years later these companies surpassed American manufactures 100 fold, in reliability AND price. Are foreign products in the RC industry better...not really, quite the opposite often times. But he fact is at some point they will surpass American made products because of cost, and little difference in reliability. So all the big time anti-foreign guys might as well cowboy up and realize its gonna happen. This is a hobby, a community...advancement should be supported,embraced, especially advancement that allows people who are less fortunate to enjoy this hobby as well. Part of this community is ALSO for experienced hobbies to test, and give options to correct issues when customer service is scarce. "This is what was wrong with this...here is how I fixed it and made it a reliable piece of hardware"....this is how people take an unreliable piece of equipment and turn it into a good resource. Especially in light of bad,overseas customer support. Maybe this turbine will be junk...but to entertain the idea that all Asian made things are junk is ignorance. Example,any guys bashed ARF planes for years, some still do. Sure at first they were junky, now,most are reliable and safe with little to no modifications. Personally, I think some people are just butt hurt that there is a possibility a cheaper product may work almost or just as well as one they paid 5x as much for. Guess what boy ohs, its called advancement,get used to it. Sorry, just my 2 cents....
Old 07-02-2012, 05:34 AM
redbiscuits
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RCU should change the name of this forum from RC Jets to RC Drama Queens. Keep up the good work ladies!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:19 AM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: damagedgoodes

Lots of angst over a low priced turbine, but has anyone any idea of price? I personally can't see it being $500-$800 myself. I wouldn't be surprised if these are around JetJoe prices.

What seems to be the major concern is that offering a cheap turbine equals doom and gloom for the hobby because inexperienced modelllers will be reckless. I certainly agree that if this turbine is of poor build quality then there is a high risk of injury from failure, but in this day and age of everyone trying to sue the pants off someone for ridiculous things, I don't think a company can afford that risk so HK will hopefully have done their homework.

I see more people flying jets as a good thing for the hobby, it gives more voice to a small group of modellers and lifts the flying ability of the pilots. The concern that inexperienced modellers will go off and do their own thing is possible, but that's up to club members enforcing the rules, be it AMA and getting your turbine waiver, or MAAA and permit to fly here in AUstralia. Both pretty stringent procedures designed to protect the public and the hobby. If people want to operate outside the rules, they will, price is irrelevant.

How much money you have to spend on this hobby has nothing to do with how well you build your models, maintain them, understand how things work or how well you can operate them. That has to do with your attitude and your personal pride.

You do get what you pay for, but until we know how much we are expected to pay for this new turbine I think it's a bit unfair to bash so hard at the moment. I have my DA's and my DLE's and both have their place. Maybe this turbine might be similar, maybe not.
Well said.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 AM
rcjetsaok
My Feedback: (7)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

RCU should change the name of this forum from RC Jets to RC Drama Queens. Keep up the good work ladies!

+1..... I'm gonna hit the floor in tears laughing if this HK turbine comes out and it is priced the same as the other " big named " Turbines..... You talking about a dilemma !!!! Oh, what to to then !!!! [X(] You talking about a whole lot of effort, typing and brain cells smoked for nothing on this thread... Just the thought is hilarious!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 06:30 AM
ira d

ORIGINAL: gatorbait2

Okay, where's the x-ray certificate for the wheel of this HK turbine? Oh, there isn't one.
The parts are not made in Europe, they want to hint that Jetcat made this turbine, but ask Jetcat, they have nothing to do with this.
And they showed a completely different turbine a few months ago, when they first showed pictures.
So if you want to believe the HK stories, that's fine, but know they simply don't tell the truth.
They talk all the time about having developed or flown this model or that, most of them, they never even flew, and most of them, they just bought from other companies, they don't develop them themselves.

I would not expect Jetcat to own up to what ever their involvment in the HK turbine might be.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:41 AM
Pepperpete

I am lucky that I can financially afford this hobby but I know plenty of pilots who barely scrape by in life because they couldn't afford the 100k to go to some fancy university. And I'll tell you right now just because thier bank accounts are smaller than some of the internet commandos, that doesn't mean they couldn't fly or build circles around you. I think some of the people in here really need to get off thier high horses and start to understand that money does NOT equal ability or pride.

What a terrible attitude about fellow human beings. It's sad. People are NOT the sum of thier bank accounts.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:58 AM
Seamus OLeprosy

ORIGINAL: redbiscuits

Oh you bytch :-)

Old 07-02-2012, 07:09 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GO TO RCTRUTH.COM  FOR THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT HOBBY KING AND THE OTHER COMPANIES DOING FRADULANT BUSINESS , THEN PRAISE YOUR DAMN HOBBY KING HELL THEY GOT KICKED OFF EBAY FOR RIPPING OFF PEOPLE AND BBB HAS OVER 400 COMPLAINTS AGAINST THEM THAT DOESNT INCLUDE THE CREDIT CARD FRAUD DAMN WAKE THE HELL UP!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 07:14 AM
drdoom
My Feedback: (9)

The price of the turbine In no way relieves anyone of the responsibility of legally obtaining a turbine waiver.. Their are $1000.00 used turbines here for sale RCU. And more to come as the technology advances.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:21 AM
Pepperpete

ORIGINAL: drdoom

The price of the turbine In no way relieves anyone of the responsibility of legally obtaining a turbine waiver.. Their are $1000.00 used turbines here for sale RCU. And more to come as the technology advances.
Very well said...
Old 07-02-2012, 07:36 AM
ira d

ORIGINAL: Pepperpete

I am lucky that I can financially afford this hobby but I know plenty of pilots who barely scrape by in life because they couldn't afford the 100k to go to some fancy university. And I'll tell you right now just because thier bank accounts are smaller than some of the internet commandos, that doesn't mean they couldn't fly or build circles around you. I think some of the people in here really need to get off thier high horses and start to understand that money does NOT equal ability or pride.

What a terrible attitude about fellow human beings. It's sad. People are NOT the sum of thier bank accounts.

Well said I agree 100%. Also many of people with big bucks will sell their older rc equip including turbines at a fairly low price when they
get ready to purchase new equip and they dont seem to worried that it may get in the hands of someone that dont know what they are
doing when they want sell somthing.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 AM
TimWatson
Banned

Default RE: [Deleted]

ORIGINAL: llindsey1965

IT IS ABOUT MAKING PRODUCTS IN THE USA ,, NOT ABOUT PRICE IF YOU CANT AFFORD THIS HOBBY GET OUT!!!!!!! WE NEED MORE MADE IN USA FINAL STATEMENT !!!!
Incredible. Do you honestly believe that

Old 07-02-2012, 07:42 AM
sieze2

I was in the states only a few weeks ago and the most amazing thing happened. I told a colleague I had a diesel car in the UK. He literally laughed his head off, going round the office telling others. His argument was why would anyone want one of those slow, noisy, smokey engines. There was literally no point trying to explain to him that diesels haven't made smoke for around the last 5 years. Whats more they are not noisy anymore due to new injector technology, and their power output now exceeds that of an equivalent petrol engine (albiet turboless). I guess $9 a gallon in europe causes improvements like that. I was reading other posts about American made technology being superior etc. etc. (specifically castle creations ESC's). Which I found ironic due to their recent worldwide recall of the ICE 120 HV due to the fires they were causing and subsequent destruction of carbon fibre 3d helicopters (google it if you like). My point is lets not jump to conclusions. This particular forum is really fast to bash new products (especially if made in the far east).I am not trying to bash US citizens with sweeping statements (sorry if it reads that way) but lets be open minded. A turbine is basically a simple device with only a few key parts (requiring aerospace levels of quality control). If they can nail those parts, then it only depends on the after sales service. They are making assurances that parts and servicing will be available.

I for one will be keeping an eye on its reliability, and after sales care. If it stands up I may consider getting one in the future. What I won't be doing is expressing my opinions without any idea of the product performance, or after sales care (which I concede is critical for turbine ownership).
Old 07-02-2012, 07:44 AM
TimWatson
Banned

this is a lost cause , no wonder we have so much unemployment , we are suppose to unite agianst the world , but we want cheap cheap , then we cry and whine when something tears up , as for my equipment my DA engines are 95% american made , my planes are built by Nir Schwitzer here in the USA virgina , as far as my radio i purchased a kraft signature made in the USA and had radio south convert it to 2.4 , my servos and batteries are all that is not made in the USA thank you!!!! so over 80% of my hobby is made in the USA!!!!! what about yours??
Are you actually aware that people from outside the Us use this forum and don't much care about buying US or has that completely passed you by

Old 07-02-2012, 07:57 AM
TimWatson
Banned

GO TO RCTRUTH.COM FOR THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT HOBBY KING AND THE OTHER COMPANIES DOING FRADULANT BUSINESS , THEN PRAISE YOUR DAMN HOBBY KING HELL THEY GOT KICKED OFF EBAY FOR RIPPING OFF PEOPLE AND BBB HAS OVER 400 COMPLAINTS AGAINST THEM THAT DOESNT INCLUDE THE CREDIT CARD FRAUD DAMN WAKE THE HELL UP!!!
Why do you keep typing in caps do you think people will be more likely to read your rants or do you think you views are more important than other peoples

Old 07-02-2012, 07:59 AM
Pepperpete

ORIGINAL: TimWatson

GO TO RCTRUTH.COM FOR THE REAL TRUTH ABOUT HOBBY KING AND THE OTHER COMPANIES DOING FRADULANT BUSINESS , THEN PRAISE YOUR DAMN HOBBY KING HELL THEY GOT KICKED OFF EBAY FOR RIPPING OFF PEOPLE AND BBB HAS OVER 400 COMPLAINTS AGAINST THEM THAT DOESNT INCLUDE THE CREDIT CARD FRAUD DAMN WAKE THE HELL UP!!!
Why do you keep typing in caps do you think people will be more likely to read your rants or do you think you views are more important than other peoples

It kind of reminds me of the guys I see on the streets holding up "the world will end in 2012" signs.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:09 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

this is a lost cause , no wonder we have so much unemployment , we are suppose to unite agianst the world , but we want cheap cheap , then we cry and whine when something tears up , as for my equipment my DA engines are 95% american made , my planes are built by Nir Schwitzer here in the USA virgina , as far as my radio i purchased a kraft signature made in the USA and had radio south convert it to 2.4 , my servos and batteries are all that is not made in the USA thank you!!!! so over 80% of my hobby is made in the USA!!!!! what about yours??

HMMM lets see you say I can buy an inferior radio then send it to Radio South to be converted to 2.4 using most likely Futaba or Hitec modules ( I know what Mr. Stillman uses because I looked into converting my Multiplex when they originally said they were not going to bring in 2.4 modules) and in the end I end up with a converted, cobbled together, featureless imitation off shore radio system that no one will touch as far as warrantee goes. On top of that I will be proud to spend more for less. YEP YEP YEP sign me up for two. NOT!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:22 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

KRAFT IS NOT A INFERIOR RADIO ASS HOLE IT WAS MADE IN THE USA BY AMERICANS , YOU NEED TO WORRY ABOUT YOUR SORRY ECONOMY OVER THERE YOU EURO IDOITS , DONT GIVE A **** ABOUT THE REST OF THE WORLD , OTHERWISE UP YOURS *******

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.