Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hobby King turbine!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hobby King turbine!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:09 AM
FalconWings
My Feedback: (57)

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Hobby King turbine!

China only builds junk. There is no 6S over there, they just don't get the meaning of QC all the way to the customer.
We really need to focus on manufacturing turbines in India, where there are thousands of PhDs unemployed and thirsty to design stuff for westeners.
All the aerospace companies Ive worked for are deeply investing in India, I think it is time for a Punye made turbine with new low cost technology.

David
Old 07-01-2012, 08:13 AM
Grodus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im not sure how much experience one has had with HK motors and batts is they consider them crappy. I have tested the $60 65C Thunderpower batts along with the $20 nanotech batts from HK, sorry guys, the HK batt at 1/3 the price produces more power and runs cooler. But the TP can be charge at 12C .....not with my charger.
As far as their receivers, I have 15 of the $6 Orange receivers, I use them in EDF's, park fliers, and 40 size glow planes and have NEVER had a single issue with a radio link. On the other hand, I have had total lockouts on 3 of the 4 Spektrum 6 channels receiver I own . So, I think they are capable of making a good product, sometimes better, and a reduced price. However, I gererally deal with items from them under $100. I have probably 60 of their batts and just recently got a bad one. I knew, I probably wouldnt gain anything by trying to return it so I just accept that $15 loss. However, with their current support and customer service, I would not at this point be willing to hand over $700-$1000 for a product from them. They may make a good tubine but what about the downtime and cost of trying to get a problem corrected? I have had a leaking fuel pump on a Jet Cetral Turbine and had a new one at my door the next day after i contacted Eric. THat to me make the difference in how I will spend my money for higher cost rc products. Do you think HK is going to answer the phone and talk you thru changes in your turbine settings? If their service and communication doesnt improve, new turbine buyers may become frustrated and spend little time flying.

Cody
Old 07-01-2012, 08:18 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Good luck if someone gets a dud out of the box [] don't ask

Cheers,V.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:38 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He might be better off with his Pulse Jet engine or a Extreme turbine than HK turbine .
Old 07-01-2012, 11:31 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Before the arrival of the cheap made in China gas engines those wishing to go gas had a very limited choice. The cost of glow fuel and the arrival of these cheap engines from China ended the glow dominance. Once again China is coming to rescue of those who can't afford a turbine. Once again the cost of getting into a section of the hobby that has been dominated by the pocket book will be eradicated. Don't worry be happy it is just a hobby.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:39 AM
snir2001
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rpm303

With all the bashing going on here, I thought i was at a UFC fight.

With all new products coming to market, I am sure there is going to be some issues. It is what HK does with customer feedback and concerns that will make it or brake it.
I remember seeing a king tech rep having hot starts with his new 170 every time he started it. So i dont Expect HK turbine to be perfect out of the box either.
One thing i know HK lacks in is quality instructions or the lack of instructions at all. When bruce pulled out all the packaging, I dont think i saw any paper work.
Dont think anyone will have much success without proper instructions, especially with radio setup.

Bob
Plus one for that...
We need to wait and see, time will tell us the full story
Old 07-01-2012, 11:39 AM
llindsey1965
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GREAT MORE CHINA JUNK !!!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:55 AM
David Jackson
My Feedback: (15)

Aren't we, the USA, capable of making an affordable turbine for RC use? Why goes to India, or other places, aren't there just as many unemployed, capable engineers here?
Old 07-01-2012, 11:58 AM
POWER JET
My Feedback: (3)

It looks cheap fabrication!!!

Even the fuel line fittings are the economical ones....!!!!

Old 07-01-2012, 12:11 PM
vasek

ORIGINAL: David Jackson

Aren't we, the USA, capable of making an affordable turbine for RC use? Why goes to India, or other places, aren't there just as many unemployed, capable engineers here?
Nobody in the good o'l US of A will work for a $1 a day.... [X(]
Old 07-01-2012, 12:22 PM
Boomerang1

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Once again China is coming to rescue of those who can't afford a turbine. Once again the cost of getting into a section of the hobby that has been dominated by the pocket book will be eradicated.
Once again more jobs in western countries will be eradicated? [&o]
I was told that 80% of all manufacturing is in China these days.

Everyone laughs when another 'greedy' company goes to the wall after being undercut by China Inc.

Until it's THEIR job.

Seems everybody begrudges someone who wants to make a decent living these days, except themselves.

A chinese turbine will still be out of reach when you are living under a freeway, yeah, 'rescue'! - John.
Old 07-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

Google, "Model Jet Crash" and you will get 15,100,000 results.
 Can someone tell me how many of these 15million results were flying a HK turbine?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:12 PM
FalconWings

ORIGINAL: David Jackson

I would love to ask BVM that question.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:27 PM
highhorse
My Feedback: (2)

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

ORIGINAL: Grodus

Im not sure how much experience one has had with HK motors and batts is they consider them crappy. I have tested the $60 65C Thunderpower batts along with the $20 nanotech batts from HK, sorry guys, the HK batt at 1/3 the price produces more power and runs cooler. But the TP can be charge at 12C .....not with my charger.
As far as their receivers, I have 15 of the $6 Orange receivers, I use them in EDF's, park fliers, and 40 size glow planes and have NEVER had a single issue with a radio link. On the other hand, I have had total lockouts on 3 of the 4 Spektrum 6 channels receiver I own . So, I think they are capable of making a good product, sometimes better, and a reduced price. However, I gererally deal with items from them under $100. I have probably 60 of their batts and just recently got a bad one. I knew, I probably wouldnt gain anything by trying to return it so I just accept that $15 loss. However, with their current support and customer service, I would not at this point be willing to hand over $700-$1000 for a product from them. They may make a good tubine but what about the downtime and cost of trying to get a problem corrected? I have had a leaking fuel pump on a Jet Cetral Turbine and had a new one at my door the next day after i contacted Eric. THat to me make the difference in how I will spend my money for higher cost rc products. Do you think HK is going to answer the phone and talk you thru changes in your turbine settings? If their service and communication doesnt improve, new turbine buyers may become frustrated and spend little time flying.

Cody
Reports of 60 club members having no problems with HK products simply stretch the imagination beyond credibility. Reports of only 1 in 60 batts being bad and 15 of 15 orange Rxs being good are way off from my experience, and the experience of others as well.

5 of the batts I rec'd in two shipments totaling 15 or so were bad, having dead cells. 2 of the 4 orange Rxs I bought were bad.

So the question, as stated many posts earlier, is "Do you feel lucky?"

Again, gents...HK sources junk more often than anyone I have heard of. Ever. Their stuff is very often not just inexpensive, it's cheap.

Even the knock off orange receiver fan and HK defender, as above, is putting the units in foamies and 40 sized glow planes, even though they sell units with enough channels to do much more.

Turbines are potentially deadly, guys. Poorly made, poorly supported, poorly maintained ones will be even more so.

DO YOU FEEL LUCKY ????
Old 07-01-2012, 01:33 PM
smperry

Hobby King...you pays yer money and ya takes yer chances. You either end up loving them or hating them.

What interests me is the effects "affordable" turbines may have on our hobby, be they from HK or somebody else.

Will this increase the odds that an unfortunate incident might close a field to turbines or have an even broader negative effect?

Idiots and yo-yos seem to be spread fairly evenly throughout all demographics. A rich fool is as subject as a poor fool to do something inadvisable with a jet model. So on that account it's a wash.

Someone trying to get a jet in the air on the cheap may be tempted to take other monetary shortcuts with the build or the radio gear. I know many highly responsible modelers who are forced to be budget conscious, but i have seen some modelers who take saving a buck to the extreme and whose models are less than safe as a result. So will inexpensive turbines run up the odds of an unfortunate incident? I'm afraid the answer is yes to a degree.

That leaves it up to local clubs to ensure new turbine pilots get proper training and that proper safety practices, including inspections, are strongly promoted.

sp
Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

Highhorse.. 15million google  results !!!!
As you must be the unluckiest customer may I suggest you dont buy from them again.
Hang on mayby not keep buying from them as they seem to send you the rejects
Old 07-01-2012, 01:35 PM
j.duncker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: [Deleted]

I have already deleted several posts in this thread.

RCU has rules about BASHING manufacturers.

We do allow and in fact encourage the reporting of problems where there is supporting evidence We do not allow statements like

XYZ make junk

unless there is supporting evidence.

As the situation is as far as I see from the OP that there is only one of these engines out there and it is a pre production version and the reviewer has yet to run it, the jury is out on it.

So please no more bashing.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:46 PM
highhorse

Received 93 Likes on 49 Posts

First, HK is a retailer, not a manufacturer. If the RCU rules say "No retailer bashing" then you have a point, but u are gonna be one really busy dude, because there have been many many threads about poor service from retailers.

Secondly, what do you want for "proof"? The bad batts and Rxs went into the trash long ago. Do you expect us to make videos of Rxs that won't bind and batteries that won't charge, or what?

Are the users to bear the burden of "proof" as we support each other, warning of bad experiences which waste our hard earned money?
Old 07-01-2012, 01:52 PM
Seamus OLeprosy

HK manufacture a considerable number of products  under their various brand names.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:54 PM
wojtek
My Feedback: (73)

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Idiots and yo-yos seem to be spread fairly evenly throughout all demographics. A rich fool is as subject as a poor fool to do something inadvisable with a jet model. So on that account it's a wash.

I think what a lot of the guys that complain about the potential problems of a " low cost" turbine are not worried about safety as mush as they are about the perception that they have of being more "special" because they have a costly turbine ... often these $$ book modelers don't even have much experience or ability flying or building.

It goes for every aspect of life... many just want to be more "special" than others, based on what they have ( compared to what others don't) and not necessarily based on any actual ability or achievement .

With that said, I don't think the HK turbine will be a top performer, but it might prove to be a viable entry level power plant. Then again, the principle of buy cheap - buy twice , seems to apply more often in life than not. On the flip side, overpriced stuff can still be crap too sometimes ( like $10K jets that have noses break off, lol ) ..The customer service track record with Hobby King is also spotty. I have not had any issues wit the few orders i have placed over the years, but that's not to say others have not.

~V~
Old 07-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I didn't know there was anything but detractors (a.k.a. people with no knowledge of basic economics) on the RCU jet forums?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:31 PM
llindsey1965

GREAT MORE CHINA JUNK MORE CHINA JUNK MORE CHINA JUNK , NOW DELETE THAT !!!!!! NO WONDER WE CANT GET ANYTHING MADE IN THE USA SUPPOSE TO BE FREE SPEECH UNLESS I WOKE UP IN RUSSIA TODAY!!!!!!!!!! THE TRUTH HURTS THAT IS WHY THEY DELETE OUR POST USA ALL THE WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 02:34 PM
llindsey1965

YOU DONT NEED ANY TESTING IT IS MADE IN CHINA THEREFORE IT IS JUNK!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 02:34 PM
FalconWings

I just wanted to clarify I that bashed an ethnic group, not a manufacturer.
Regards,
David
Old 07-01-2012, 02:35 PM
llindsey1965

IT IS ABOUT MAKING PRODUCTS IN THE USA ,, NOT ABOUT PRICE IF YOU CANT AFFORD THIS HOBBY GET OUT!!!!!!! WE NEED MORE MADE IN USA FINAL STATEMENT !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.