Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Hobby King turbine!

Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Hobby King turbine!

Old 11-01-2013, 09:17 PM
roger.alli

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by j.duncker
OK Mods hat off.

So this guy Bruce Simpson who reviews modelling stuff in NZ has been banned from flying both by his local council and the NZ CAA.

Any body know why? Bruce seems to hint that it is because he is making money from his reviews and as such is commercial. If that is the reason then it sets a dangerous precedent in my view. What is to stop them applying this rule to manufacturers importers and retailers.

Is there more to this story?
Yes, there is much more to this story. I am not prepared to go into detail on RCU, and to be honest I am not completely aware of the curent situation with Bruce.. Suffice to say, the problems Bruce faces have absolutly nothing to do with his commmercial activities.

The site that Bruce used to fly at, Tokoroa Airfield, is a full size, active airfield, which is owned by the local council. My understanding is that all of Bruce's problems have come about because he has not operated within the rules set by the three official bodies that oversee model operations on that site I.e the Civil Aviation Authority, the Tokoroa City Council, and Model Flying NZ. Tokroa is a great site, but it does have some special rules and restrictions.

I belong to the NZ jet club that operates at that site. We have a very good relationship with these bodies and have regular access to this superbe facility. We are not the only model club that uses it..

We (our club) have tried to keep a good relationship with Bruce, and have invited him to be part of our activities.

Roger
Old 11-01-2013, 09:58 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only watched those videos to see what the cat would do next..
Old 11-02-2013, 04:16 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by roger.alli
Yes, there is much more to this story. I am not prepared to go into detail on RCU, and to be honest I am not completely aware of the curent situation with Bruce.. Suffice to say, the problems Bruce faces have absolutly nothing to do with his commmercial activities.

The site that Bruce used to fly at, Tokoroa Airfield, is a full size, active airfield, which is owned by the local council. My understanding is that all of Bruce's problems have come about because he has not operated within the rules set by the three official bodies that oversee model operations on that site I.e the Civil Aviation Authority, the Tokoroa City Council, and Model Flying NZ. Tokroa is a great site, but it does have some special rules and restrictions.

I belong to the NZ jet club that operates at that site. We have a very good relationship with these bodies and have regular access to this superbe facility. We are not the only model club that uses it..

We (our club) have tried to keep a good relationship with Bruce, and have invited him to be part of our activities.

Roger
Ahh I thought it might be something like that.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:11 AM
Vettster

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I recall seeing a video of Bruce hovering an FPV drone outside the windows of a gov building. Wonder if that had any part in his troubles.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:49 AM
Prop_Washer2
My Feedback: (26)

Originally Posted by dbsonic
I only watched those videos to see what the cat would do next..
+1,,,,
Old 11-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Jetflyer3000
Banned

I don't know much about Bruce but I do think that it is important that authorities in our free world countries are challenged over various issues
Old 11-02-2013, 04:42 PM
causeitflies

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I don't know all the particulars of Bruce's troubles, but he did get into it with the local gov't (flying the FPV around the building and posting the video), and I think he is banned from both RCU and RCG. I don't agree with some of his tactics but never saw anything too far over the top. I know he's pi$$ed off quite a few in the forums but as Roger has stated there must be more to the story.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:15 PM
dw_crash
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Status Update.

Now....back the thread......what is the status of the KingTech Turbine?

DW_Crash
Old 11-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Vettster

Originally Posted by dw_crash
Now....back the thread......what is the status of the KingTech Turbine?

DW_Crash
Well the KingTech Turbines are doing very Well

The HobbyKing Turbine?.... Not so much LOL
Old 11-04-2013, 05:51 PM
dbsonic
My Feedback: (3)

HK turbine was really an HK pulse jet apparently...

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__34247__Hobbyking_Pulse_Jet_Gasoline_Engine_34_Re d_Head_34_with_Ignition_System.html
Old 11-04-2013, 08:49 PM
sysiek
My Feedback: (176)

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Witch turbine ,and the guy from New Zealand oh well no coment .
Old 06-29-2014, 09:34 PM
Henke Torphammar

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Big day today as we celebrate the second anniversary of Bruce not getting the HK turbine to run. Cheers and may the coming years be as good as the first two have been
Old 06-30-2014, 02:28 AM
3dean

well he does have good reasons heheeee

http://youtu.be/6OrTNTZExGI
Old 06-30-2014, 02:43 AM
Justflying1

Most of you including me support Hobby King by buying there products so why rat them out for working on a turbine.
Would you rather they just realise it when they haven't sort it it out yet.
As soon as something comes out most of you jump on your key boards and start ratting it out before anyone even gets a chance to test it.
Give them a chance you never know it mite come out and be a decent budget turbine. If it never comes out we should all thank HobbyKing for not releasing a turbine which clearly is not up to scratch because if it was it would be on there web site.

Last edited by Justflying1; 06-30-2014 at 02:46 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-30-2014, 03:06 AM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by Justflying1
Give them a chance you never know it mite come out and be a decent budget turbine.
As stated above today is the second anniversary of it not running with development for another two years or so before that. I guess it have been time enough to give them a chance, and make a little fun of the situation. Don't you think?

Old 06-30-2014, 03:12 AM
Justflying1

Do you honestly think a manufacturer designs and tests a Turbine in 12 months.
There is a lot that happens behind the scenes and this takes time. Like stated if it does not come out I Thank you Hobby King for not releasing a lemon.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:18 AM
Henke Torphammar

Originally Posted by Justflying1
Do you honestly think a manufacturer designs and tests a Turbine in 12 months.
As stated above today is the second anniversary of it not running. As in two years since they thought it was a good idea to send it for a youtube review with a stranger outside the factory. I still think it's a bit funny even though I don't like sarcasm

Last edited by Henke Torphammar; 06-30-2014 at 03:24 AM.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:40 AM
Xairflyer
My Feedback: (1)

I'd say it is down to production cost and not being able to produce it at the price they originally planned, very difficult now for any new turbine manufacturer to beat Kingtech pricing and still get a reliable turbine, if it was only $100 cheaper would you buy it over a kingtech, $200 cheaper? I think many would want a significant saving over a known reliable turbine, to take a chance on something unknown out of china.
Even HobbyKing who are the masters of low pricing, could they sell a reliable turbine for $500 less than a Kingtech 80?
The original budget turbines manuf Jetjoe cant seem to, a JJ1800 is now $1499, equivalent kingtech K80E $1725 would you buy a Jetjoe to save $225 ?
Interesting a JJ1800 from the UK dealer is £1136 you can pick up a Kingtech 80E from Als Hobbies for £1279 !!! as you Americans say it is really a no brainer.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:42 AM
Dr Honda
My Feedback: (4)

Originally Posted by Xairflyer
I'd say it is down to production cost and not being able to produce it at the price they originally planned, very difficult now for any new turbine manufacturer to beat Kingtech pricing and still get a reliable turbine, if it was only $100 cheaper would you buy it over a kingtech, $200 cheaper? I think many would want a significant saving over a known reliable turbine, to take a chance on something unknown out of china.
Even HobbyKing who are the masters of low pricing, could they sell a reliable turbine for $500 less than a Kingtech 80?
The original budget turbines manuf Jetjoe cant seem to, a JJ1800 is now $1499, equivalent kingtech K80E $1725 would you buy a Jetjoe to save $225 ?
Interesting a JJ1800 from the UK dealer is £1136 you can pick up a Kingtech 80E from Als Hobbies for £1279 !!! as you Americans say it is really a no brainer.

I agree. Think about KingTech. They came out with an 80N engine... and the original price was $1700. That was a SOLID $600 less than the big boys. (JetCat, Wren, Jet Central... etc.) Heck... they came out, and were almost the same price as JetJoe, and they offered a good warranty, and used Gaspar's ECU's. (unlike the JetJoe junk copy)

The boys at Hobby King aren't dumb. They built a hobby empire in a few years. And, I'm sure they know that if they can't make a turbine, with a release price of $1200 or less... they won't be able to buy their way into this club.

With that said... I wish they would have given the engine to someone with real credentials to run it. After Bruce got it... we all learned that he was kicked out of his club, and was in trouble with the local model aircraft regulators.

I'm 100% with Henke on this one... it's been 2 years, and no run vids. They know we talk about this engine... and they know the info is out there. They should just come out publically, and tell us about it. I'd be more willing to trust it, if they said, there was a re-design... or if the production costs are too high.

Last edited by Dr Honda; 06-30-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 02-22-2019, 04:53 AM
jetrichie

See hobbyking have finally got round to selling a turbine but not their own, they have just listed the swiwin 60N size at $1590 there are others in the range be interesting to see if they stock them as well.
One good thing is we might see some realistically priced jet kits to suit in the future.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/swiwin-s...-13-48lbs.html
Old 02-22-2019, 07:49 PM
luge_racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have to send it back to hobbyking to get it serviced? That could get expensive.
Old 02-23-2019, 04:09 AM
Bob_B
My Feedback: (11)

Received 81 Likes on 70 Posts

CRX Turbines services these motors
Old 02-23-2019, 07:30 AM
Vettster

Originally Posted by Bob_B
CRX Turbines services these motors
Absolutely! He sells them too! Why bother buying overseas when you can get it right here for less $ and have great service to boot. http://www.crxturbines.com/sw-60b.html

Last edited by Vettster; 02-23-2019 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:39 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Old 02-24-2019, 08:00 AM
jetrichie

Think Hobbyking will only be retailing, and pass servicing on to country dealers
You can buy a kingtech with a life time warrantee for same money so cant see much point, if you are going to come on market with a new turbine you need to make it attractive, needs to be $300 less before you would pass up a known brand
Im just hoping now they are selling one hobbyking will have a turbine suitable model in the pipeline

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.