Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build

Community
Search
Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

TF Beechcraft Bonanza F33A Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 02:02 AM
VincentJ

Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Servo bracket after glass beading. Wasn't really necessary to do this step, but it sure does make it look purdy!!!

Old 09-12-2019, 04:34 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts

Now you are just showing off! I like it, I like it!!!!
Old 09-12-2019, 06:44 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
Now you are just showing off! I like it, I like it!!!!
LOL, Thanks Mike!
Old 09-15-2019, 03:02 AM
VincentJ

The aileron's servo wire is far too short to to reach its exit point at the top of the wing. This is a common problem that is easily rectified by adding in an extension to lengthen the lead. I want to make sure that the electrical connection never separates so I use heat shrink tubing to solve this problem. Here I've slipped a length of heat shrink over the extension wire.

Simply slide the connector somewhere beneath the center point of the heat shrink.

Using a heat gun, shrink the tubing. Some builders use a lighter for this purpose, but I prefer not to use that method, as it can apply too much heat melting the insulation wires beneath.

This is how it should look like completed. Trust me in that this connection worn't separate and it will also be protected from moisture. In the future, should this connection need to be separated, simply slice the heat shrink off...

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-15-2019 at 03:04 AM.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:01 PM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Vincent, I did exactly the same thing with my dual Ailerons on my A-Ray. Do you a Y adapter where the leads come together in the center of the wing? I did this but I also bought a reverser that i got a swap meet and I was talking to a fellow modeler who told me that I didn't need this because i could just put the link on the opposite side that rotates the other direction. I have not finished construction yet on this wing but i have two other wings that will need the same set up! I hope to get this done this year but I have working very long hours lately and don't have much free time except on weekends
Thank You
Michael
Old 09-15-2019, 06:07 PM
FlyerInOKC

As cheap as servos are now days it doesn't make sense NOT to have dual servos for the ailerons and the flaps. In some cases I have added a separate servo for a nose and/or tail wheel.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:19 PM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
Hi Vincent, I did exactly the same thing with my dual Ailerons on my A-Ray. Do you a Y adapter where the leads come together in the center of the wing? I did this but I also bought a reverser that i got a swap meet and I was talking to a fellow modeler who told me that I didn't need this because i could just put the link on the opposite side that rotates the other direction. I have not finished construction yet on this wing but i have two other wings that will need the same set up! I hope to get this done this year but I have working very long hours lately and don't have much free time except on weekends
Thank You
Michael
Michael, I'm not using a "Y" harness because I dedicate separate channels for each servo. I prefer this method, as I can adjust each servo independently. If you've got the channels in your transmitter why not use them!

I hear you on the long hours. After a long day at work, I head to the gym for 1-1/2 hours, then home to cook dinner and eat. By that time I'm beat and too tired to make it into my workshop.

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-15-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:25 PM
VincentJ

[QUOTE=FlyerInOKC;12550551]As cheap as servos are now days it doesn't make sense NOT to have dual servos for the ailerons and the flaps. In some cases I have added a separate servo for a nose and/or tail wheel.[/QUOTE
Mike I agree with you. Any time I'm building and the plans call for a single servo to actuate two ailerons, that is the first thing that gets that gets changed using two servos...
Old 09-16-2019, 03:26 AM
EF

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

The shrink over the servo-extension connection is obviously a good thing, but why do you bother with this connection instead of simply cutting off the plug and receptacle, and making a soldered connection between servo and extension?

I always extend the servo leads that way, and have found it to also be economical (I buy servo wire by lengths of several meters, very cheap). If you need to replace a servo (a rare occasion) you can always cut the wires and re-solder a new one.

Last edited by EF; 09-16-2019 at 03:30 AM.
Old 09-16-2019, 04:23 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by EF
The shrink over the servo-extension connection is obviously a good thing, but why do you bother with this connection instead of simply cutting off the plug and receptacle, and making a soldered connection between servo and extension?

I always extend the servo leads that way, and have found it to also be economical (I buy servo wire by lengths of several meters, very cheap). If you need to replace a servo (a rare occasion) you can always cut the wires and re-solder a new one.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with your logic here EF. I know many modelers that do exactly that. With virgin connectors on both ends, the chance of having a electrical failure is pretty slim so I can trust it to do its job. So for me it's just easier to plug and play sort to speak. If, on the other hand I were using a used servo or extension lead, then your method would prove more reliable. Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 09-16-2019, 06:56 AM
GameEngineer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
As cheap as servos are now days it doesn't make sense NOT to have dual servos for the ailerons and the flaps. In some cases I have added a separate servo for a nose and/or tail wheel.
I agree. I've even seen separate servos for each gear door. I started a TF P-51 years ago and its still sitting in a half-built state. It has single servo with bellcranks for the ailerons but I plan on modifying it to dual servos. In my recent work I've opted for Y-cables but I see the value in using separate channels for ailerons (aileron and Aux in my case).
Old 09-16-2019, 10:33 AM
mkjohnston

Hey Vincent, I just happend to have Futaba 8JA and I think there is mod in the set up where i can do that I just havent got that far into the programming end yet! I work night M-F and the last two I came in at 5:30 pm. I didnt get off until 8 am the next day and this happened almost every day that week and to the middle of last week when it started to trend down. Mondays are always the worst day. so we shall see thanks
Michael
Old 09-23-2019, 03:22 PM
VincentJ

The hinge blocking for the flaps and ailerons have all been installed in the wing. I can start on sheeting and closing off the wing now.

In preparation for sheeting, I had to run all of the wires in the wing. With flaps. ailerons, retracts and navigational lights to operate, the amount of wiring inside the wing is substantial.

Close up of the blocking that will hold the servo access hatch. Four 2-56 cap head screws will secure the hatch to the wing. Note the cutout to facilitate access the RDS (Rotary Drive System) set screw...

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-24-2019 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:19 PM
FlyerInOKC

All that beautiful work and it will never be seen again!
Old 09-23-2019, 11:51 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Are you going to label all the wiring so you know what it's for later?
Old 09-24-2019, 12:49 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Are you going to label all the wiring so you know what it's for later?
Absolutely!
Old 09-24-2019, 02:00 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Glad to hear that. I've spent hours working on electrical systems where nothing was labelled by people that didn't know what they were doing. Needless to say, if someone asks me for help now, they get told no if they have already starting taking things apart
Old 09-24-2019, 04:51 AM
SA Flyer
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah. Those structures are a work of art. Makes me think of Michael Angelo's drawings of his flying machines.

After finishing the Bonanza, the designer of this model must have spent hours nodding his head in amazement of his finished work.
Thanks for posting such good, sharp photos and captions. That also takes up a lot of time in addition to the building.
Old 09-24-2019, 05:35 AM
FlyerInOKC

First class job all the way!
Old 09-24-2019, 06:42 AM
VincentJ

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words, it is truly appreciated.
Old 09-24-2019, 01:12 PM
GameEngineer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Very clean and organized. Its nice to see how you're supposed to do a build.
Old 09-26-2019, 06:01 PM
VincentJ

I started sheeting tonight!

Old 09-26-2019, 07:18 PM
FlyerInOKC

Looking good so far!
Old 09-27-2019, 08:02 AM
mkjohnston

vey nice Vincent. Are going to sheet the bottom of the wing then cut your Ailerons out with a razor saw. This is a problem area for me on A-ray when I did this before it came out very crooked and it was a pain to fix them right I am going to take my time with my new build and get this right. The nice thing is that Lou Andrews provided pictures of building the airplane from the ground! It gives a pictorial view of how it should be built!
Thank You
Michael Johnston
Old 09-27-2019, 09:36 AM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by mkjohnston
vey nice Vincent. Are going to sheet the bottom of the wing then cut your Ailerons out with a razor saw. This is a problem area for me on A-ray when I did this before it came out very crooked and it was a pain to fix them right I am going to take my time with my new build and get this right. The nice thing is that Lou Andrews provided pictures of building the airplane from the ground! It gives a pictorial view of how it should be built!
Thank You
Michael Johnston
Yes, I am Mike. The ailerons and flaps are built with the wing then separated using a saw. This can be intimidating the first time if you've never done it before. I'll be sure to show how I do it including pictures. Trust me, it really is a piece of cake to do...

Last edited by VincentJ; 09-27-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.