Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

SIGPlanes.com Going Out of Business

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

SIGPlanes.com Going Out of Business

Old 11-14-2018, 12:52 PM
SIGPlanes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIGPlanes.com Going Out of Business

We regret to inform our customers we have closed our business effective November 12, 2018. SIG Mfg. will provide all service and support to SIGPlanes customers moving forward and purchases still in process will be shipped directly from the SIG Mfg. warehouse in Iowa, USA.
www.SIGPlanes.com

Please contact SIG Mfg. with any questions:
Phone: (641) 623-5154
Email: [email protected]
Old 11-15-2018, 06:02 AM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to see this.
You guys did a great job marketing Sig Products. Your website was well done.
All the best in whatever you are doing going forward.
There's no doubt that the RC Airplane business is difficult. I know!!!!
Mike Mueller
Gator RC, F3A Unlimited and Caiman Distribution owner.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:25 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Does this mean you have kits left in stock at this time or have you sold off everything you had?
I would love to get my hands on the kits or plan sets for a Kadet MKII, Astro Hog and Kobra if there is some way to still buy them

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 11-21-2018 at 06:29 AM.
Old 11-21-2018, 10:28 AM
Hydro Junkie

Just contacted SIG and was told that SIG MANUFACTURING IS ALIVE AND WELL. SIGPlanes was an independent distributor and, due to the similar names, they have been getting calls and emails since SIGPlanes announced that they were closing down. I know it had me concerned, as shown in my previous post
Old 11-21-2018, 10:41 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ditto on Sig Mfg being alive and well.

For some really nice laser kits, try these guys: Manzano Laser
Old 11-25-2018, 05:50 PM
imcrazy

I wish Sig would come into the forums and clear this up. Sigplanes is just a online store with the same name . has nothing to do with sig they just sold there stuff. It is actually better they are gone because it was confusing. Everyone needs to buy from and support sig .they sell a lot more than kits. they have a chance to be leader in this market and actually grow because they are one of the few around. Sig them self should start special order lazer cutting they should also make there own shrink covering.. They have a facebook page and they have a person who monitors it. They should enter these groups and forums and communicate with us.
Also Seagull models makers of ARF are sold in the U.S.A by Sig and they are starting to sell kits. maybe they will re kit some old Sig Designs who knows.

Last edited by imcrazy; 11-25-2018 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:26 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by imcrazy
I wish Sig would come into the forums and clear this up.

I don't see anything to clear up.
Sig Manufacturing is alive and well.
Sig Planes.com is dead.

All the info is posted. We, as concerned modeler just need to absorb and understand that information.

Last edited by TomCrump; 11-26-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:42 AM
imcrazy

There is a lot to clear up. Between Facebook ,regroup flying giants and here I read post from people thinking it's Sig mfg that folded. The fact that this post was created is proof of that.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:32 AM
TomCrump

There is a lot to clear up. Between Facebook ,regroup flying giants and here I read post from people thinking it's Sig mfg that folded. The fact that this post was created is proof of that.

All those people need to do is read the statement by Sig Planes, on their website. The link is posted in the first post of this thread. http://sigplanes.com/

People should read before they type. The confusion is a result of not paying attention.

Last edited by TomCrump; 11-26-2018 at 09:53 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:40 AM
Constrictor
My Feedback: (46)

things could not be any clearer. The reason this post was created was to let any customers know that "sigplanes" not Sig Mfg is going out of business. they were very kind and helpful posting a link to the company they bought from ( Sig Mfg) to tell us that All Sig planes are still available but not through one of their sales outlets.
Old 11-26-2018, 04:19 PM
Hydro Junkie

Originally Posted by Constrictor
things could not be any clearer. The reason this post was created was to let any customers know that "sigplanes" not Sig Mfg is going out of business. they were very kind and helpful posting a link to the company they bought from ( Sig Mfg) to tell us that All Sig planes are still available but not through one of their sales outlets.
I think what caused the issue is that, when you read the first post, it says, in a nutshell, that SIGPlanes.com is closing down and to contact SIG for any customer needs. Had the poster said SIG MFG was still in operation and to contact them for any customer needs, instead of just to contact SIG, it might have taken care of the problems that their post has caused. I have to give SIGPlanes credit for announcing their company's closing but, in all fairness to the modelers, a bit more "precision" in that post would have been more than just a little helpful.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:07 PM
buzzard bait

Exactly; I was confused and glad to hear Sig Mfg is still in business.

Jim
Old 12-05-2018, 05:06 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

For those who have never been to the annual FlyIn in June, SigPlanes had a team of guys who did the distribution of Sig planes. They all wore SigPlane.com shirts, and were not affiliated with SIG, but had a Liaison between SIG and their company. A couple years ago there was a kerfuffle, Heads butted and a few members left to organization, the head butting was over the direction things were headed. I believe the person(s) who left were the major organizers behind SigPlanes. I believe this to be the final outcome of the Kerfuffle.

I personally feel that the way SIG is heading, the path that HH has, with all ARF, could very well cause more harm than good. Lets face it, SIG did not get to where they are on ready made planes, they got there by serving the building community. Not saying SIG should stop selling ARF, keep up the sales, but they also need to keep in mind those who got them there. They did try with the Rascal168, but I feel they went too big too soon, SIG does not make Giant scale aircraft, they make the average scale, so I believe they went too big too soon. The guys behind the Rascal are no longer with SIG, and unfortunately, they were also the designers of several of the kits we have enjoyed for decades.

I also believe that if SIG were to obtain the rights to Top Flite and Goldberg/Great Planes kits, they would not need to put a lot of effort to improve the kits to SIG standards and produce the kits under the SIG name. Pretty sure they would sell. There are plenty of guys, including me, who are looking for some of those kits. They already have the equipment in the laser cutters, and those kits that are die crushed could be converted to laser cut, which would be a huge improvement in fit and finish and overall quality.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:25 PM
imcrazy

Originally Posted by acdii
For those who have never been to the annual FlyIn in June, SigPlanes had a team of guys who did the distribution of Sig planes. They all wore SigPlane.com shirts, and were not affiliated with SIG, but had a Liaison between SIG and their company. A couple years ago there was a kerfuffle, Heads butted and a few members left to organization, the head butting was over the direction things were headed. I believe the person(s) who left were the major organizers behind SigPlanes. I believe this to be the final outcome of the Kerfuffle.

I personally feel that the way SIG is heading, the path that HH has, with all ARF, could very well cause more harm than good. Lets face it, SIG did not get to where they are on ready made planes, they got there by serving the building community. Not saying SIG should stop selling ARF, keep up the sales, but they also need to keep in mind those who got them there. They did try with the Rascal168, but I feel they went too big too soon, SIG does not make Giant scale aircraft, they make the average scale, so I believe they went too big too soon. The guys behind the Rascal are no longer with SIG, and unfortunately, they were also the designers of several of the kits we have enjoyed for decades.

I also believe that if SIG were to obtain the rights to Top Flite and Goldberg/Great Planes kits, they would not need to put a lot of effort to improve the kits to SIG standards and produce the kits under the SIG name. Pretty sure they would sell. There are plenty of guys, including me, who are looking for some of those kits. They already have the equipment in the laser cutters, and those kits that are die crushed could be converted to laser cut, which would be a huge improvement in fit and finish and overall quality.
i think Sig could start a Lazer cutting business. They already have the wood. Space and machines.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:30 PM
acdii

i think Sig could start a Lazer cutting business. They already have the wood. Space and machines.
Unless they have the parts in the system, they would have to dedicate a person to convert the plans into the parts. National Balsa can cut you a kit, but will charge a large sum unless you already have the parts in the correct format. It could cost as much as $600 just to convert a set of plans like those from the P-51.

This is part of the reason that they are not making new kits, the time needed to draw the plans, put them in the system, and then make the kit and test is exorbitant and the returns, unless it is a very popular kits, take too long if ever to recover.
Old 12-05-2018, 05:43 PM
imcrazy

Originally Posted by acdii
Unless they have the parts in the system, they would have to dedicate a person to convert the plans into the parts. National Balsa can cut you a kit, but will charge a large sum unless you already have the parts in the correct format. It could cost as much as $600 just to convert a set of plans like those from the P-51.

This is part of the reason that they are not making new kits, the time needed to draw the plans, put them in the system, and then make the kit and test is exorbitant and the returns, unless it is a very popular kits, take too long if ever to recover.
so all the talk I hear about who needs kits when there are kit cutters is hype? I don't know a lot about it.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:02 AM
acdii

Don't know how they are getting the parts from plans unless they spent the time to do it and have a list of available kits. Maybe they have a scan to CAD program they use? All I know is when I asked NB during the Toledo show, they said if its not something they already do, they would have a surcharge to convert it to their systems.
Old 12-07-2018, 05:19 AM
TomCrump

so all the talk I hear about who needs kits when there are kit cutters is hype? I don't know a lot about it.
I believe that there are cutters who are willing to do "one off" kit cutting, but National Balsa is not one of them. I suggest that you visit RC groups and do some browsing. I believe that their is a list of kit cutters floating around over there.
Old 12-07-2018, 10:41 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Some years ago SIG did quite a bit of laser cutting for small kit builders. I don't know if they still do this or not. I know because a friend use to have his pylon racer designs cut by SIG and I still have one of those kits. Has anyone actually called SIG to see if they still do this?
Old 12-08-2018, 07:52 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Truckracer
Some years ago SIG did quite a bit of laser cutting for small kit builders. I don't know if they still do this or not. I know because a friend use to have his pylon racer designs cut by SIG and I still have one of those kits. Has anyone actually called SIG to see if they still do this?
What's stopping you from calling?
Old 12-08-2018, 11:47 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Appowner
What's stopping you from calling?
At this point in my life, I’m no longer interested but thought someone else might be curious what SIG has done in the past.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:43 PM
thailazer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sig Manufacturing is alive and well. That is a relief! Was shocked when I first saw this thread, and sorry to see their distributor fold. I think I'll try to steer some orders toward Sig as my first plane was a Sig Chipmunk control line plane.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:45 AM
acdii

I'm actually looking for a cutter to cut the Jan Hermkens B-17 I have plans for. Haven't fully decided if I want to have them cut, or hand cut them myself. Have it cut, then they are precise, cut them myself and can select the wood quality.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:06 AM
cphdrider
My Feedback: (3)

Sig Manufacturing HAS NOT gone out of business. https://sigmfg.com/
Old 03-26-2019, 07:28 AM
imcrazy

No kidding

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.