Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - General
Reload this Page >

It's here and Looks GOOD new Hangar 9 Taylorcraft

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

It's here and Looks GOOD new Hangar 9 Taylorcraft

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 02:58 AM
Rudolph Hart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've always run glow saito's and the fg (petrol) models took a lot of reading the manual for me,still seems back to front re tuning.
Old 10-28-2018, 04:20 PM
H5606

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts

This week I pulled the tank out and found the clunk in proper place and saftied but it wasn't reaching the bottom of the tank; I simply pulled the stopper, cleaned out the tank, rotated the vent a little to allow clocking the stopper so that the carb line was closer to the bottom of the tank. This tweak likewise allowed the clunk to touch the bottom of the tank. Reinstalled everything, charged up and went to the field today. With my wing tote, I had space to bring another gas powered thingy along - a weed-whacker - so I could gain access to drain the club's roller before the winter freeze.

Only one at the field as usual - oh well. Darn it, the wind is coming up too - probably won't be doing any trimming today if I even get airborne. While pulling fuselage from car by the fin, was not happy that the vertical stab shifted some and was rocking in it's slot between the horizontals. Since anxious to fly, I taped the fillet entry of the fin down to the fuse to preclude any chafe or wear. Still concerned over losing those hairpins that secure the jury struts and lift struts at the fuse juncture, I oriented the pins so they were aligned with the struts and simply taped them in place with what I had on hand which was Scotch Magic tape. Knew it would be a PITA to remove but I really wanted to fly.

This time I remembered to bring my Sullivan Tail Anchor so I wouldn't be trying to use one of those damn, geezer stands like I did on the first outing. Cheated and also brought along a Hi-Torque Sullivan starter. Well the engine runs - let's do a quick range test and then let's go fly. I did - taxiing is straight forward - once in position on the runway, power advanced slowly and with tail up, steering and take-off was easy - climbed to reasonable altitude (no higher than 399' of course!) mostly flying race-track pattern because we don't want to do anything risky here on the maiden... well... nah... let's try a few things. Performed a roll and noted a hiccup from the Zenoah during inverted - after a couple more rolls, a loop, a sloppy stall turn, without any more hiccups, I decided to land. In order to lose altitude in a hurry, executed a Split-S, pausing while inverted to see if the engine acted up - it didn't, entered a high down wind, turned base, then turned final - still a bit high - wow, no problem - plenty of drag I guess - landed with change to spare. Yay, first-flight jitters out of the way!

One thing I noted is a bit of slight surging at low throttle while I drained the tank empty.

Included picture of the black Ultracote sunburst trim on the left wing panel that began puckering on the rather cool, 59 degree day.

Last edited by H5606; 10-28-2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:49 PM
H5606

43-46 degree F temps; winds light and variable yesterday with blue skies. Needled the carb to try to optimize settings according to willig10 on page 44 of this thread. Noticed higher RPM numbers on Hi needle when richening. Not necessarily correct but settled on richer settings for both needles compared to the factory settings. Long idle still resulted in what I consider good acceleration to full throttle. First flight very short - landed to inspect airplane after hearing a noise on takeoff (a "springing" noise) - perhaps it was just a wheel spinning too fast on a dry axel. Put in a full flight with the engine problem occurring again - it sagged while inverting during three separate rolling maneuvers. Landed and picked the airplane up and inverted while engine was at idle. Noticed some slight surges but engine didn't quit. Refueled and flew again - this time held the inverted position in flight and engine quit - landed and restarted. Flew an entire flight staying upright, spent some time trimming the airplane (some up elev and some rt ail), and engine performed fine with powered landing and taxi back to end day. Black, oily goop evident on left gear leg behind exhaust stacks. Didn't try inverting airplane at idle in flight to see what happens yet.

When the tank was out of the airplane, noticed the clunk is slow to react to gravity when inverting it probably due to the stiff tubing; can this slight delay cause an apparent fuel starvation issue for these gasoline burners? If not, what else should be looked at on a stock setup (Zenoah G-26 w/ magneto). Am running ethanol enhanced gas.

Help appreciated.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:12 AM
Rudolph Hart

Can't help engine wise i run a saito fa182 flat twin in mine.They sure are pretty to look at in flight,or anywhere really,good luck.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:28 AM
H5606

With the tank out again, noticed the clunk nearly remains at the bottom of the tank when inverting. Someone I know was kind enough to give me some Viton tubing to substitute for the stiff, Tygon pickup tube found inside the BNF tank.

Heating and twisting big wing panels by yourself can be a hassle; its so easy to go too far the other direction. In an effort to eliminate the roll tendency, lengthened the right rear lift-strut one full turn at the fuse fitting to see if it takes out some of the right trim.

Back when putting airplane together, noticed negative camber in wheels, verified with triangle. Rather bothersome, so clamped L/G in vise and tweaked to TLAR.

The Jim Moss signature trim feature on the aft fuselage is poorly executed in this smaller rendition of the Taylorcraft - i.e. too much spacing between colors. Ultracoat doesn't stick to itself very well and this trait comes in handy to pull off the red and black stripes without any heat. Acetone followed with alcohol cleans up any leftover color/adhesives. Used wax paper to make a template and cut patches to apply and create an alternate trim scheme.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:59 PM
Rudolph Hart

I'd like to see how it all comes out mate
Old 12-02-2018, 05:07 PM
H5606

Gold makes for nice contrast with the red, white, and black trim scheme.

2 3/4" strip of Monokote ironed down to a cutting mat covered with clear packing tape on low heat, then laid out lettering with a Sharpie pen for a right slant, cut all the horizontal lines, then the verticals, and finally the curves with an X-Acto knife. Repeat for left slant and wash off Sharpie marks with alcohol.

Laid out the lettering on the fuselage side for cursory view before adhering permanently.

Old 12-02-2018, 11:59 PM
Rudolph Hart

Nice!
Old 03-13-2019, 06:50 AM
BETTERRCBUILDER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love it !

Nice , I love custom work , always nice to do something different.
My Taylorcraft is in really good condition, with a new G26 ready to hang. I need to source landing gear and cuffs..fingers crossed!
I like this plane so much that I plan on recovering it ..a good project for next winter.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:35 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

I've had mine since the second version was released (10 years ago?). It remains one of my all time favorites. DLE 30, Bowman ring, stock muffler and a Master Airscrew 20x6. Originally had a 12 ounce tank but I kept running it dry and deadsticking it in so I went to a 16 ounce tank. I sure wish Horizon would do one more production run. I'd love to have another, perhaps with Duane Cole's old color scheme.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 AM
BETTERRCBUILDER

Another run would really be great, Maybe a ARF vs the BNF?
a beautiful scheme with strong ties to the old days of single engine civilian flying.
the addition of lights would be really nice. That is one thing I plan in doing.
I want to recover mine eventually but the factory covering still looks great with only the right bottom fuse side showing a little lifting..i cleaned the surface but it just wont lay down and stay put to my satisfaction.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 AM
BETTERRCBUILDER

Default Hangar 9 T-craft..on the short list !

I like mine so much that It is on the list of planes i want a new in box back up.
cant say that about many planes. Such a sweet looker , a pleasure to fly and although I love Cubs ..I LOVE Taylorcrafts.. 1st cousins and both very special aircraft indeed.
Old 03-13-2019, 11:58 PM
Rudolph Hart

Just as easy to fly upside down they look great in the air and sound just as good with a saito fa182t flat twin,swings an 18x6
Old 03-14-2019, 06:53 AM
BETTERRCBUILDER

Default Flat twin

Yea, those sure sound sweet a add more realism to the experience. I got a brand new in box Zenoah G26 for $100.00 so that's what I hung on the nose.
I will definitely use a big 4stroke on the Hangar 9 RV4.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:08 PM
H5606

Flew the airplane yesterday with it's new trim - first flight this spring (now it's 6th?) after having refilled the roller and rolled the club's runway and pit area. Also added the pilot figure which makes wing installation and removal more difficult. Still haven't been able to hand prop successfully and resorted to the Sullivan starter.

Didn't spend a lot of time upside down with the winds - SW@10 gusting to 22 - however, the Viton tube pickup in the tank seems to have solved the engine out situations during rollovers. Overflight took place with crosswinds but T/O and landing using the N-S runway (basically into the wind). Surprised that a 12 minute setting on the countdown timer with about 9 minutes airborne didn't leave much gas left in the tank perhaps due to lots of power used flying in the winds.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:31 AM
Lifer

I ended up putting a larger tank in mine as well. Got tired of the dead-stick landings! I used to have to replace the water in the roller we use at out field every Spring as well. It was a lot of trouble. Someone suggesting putting 500 pounds of sand inside instead and that's been in there for at least the last five years. F.W.I.W.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:37 AM
H5606

Originally Posted by Lifer
I ended up putting a larger tank in mine as well. Got tired of the dead-stick landings! I used to have to replace the water in the roller we use at out field every Spring as well. It was a lot of trouble. Someone suggesting putting 500 pounds of sand inside instead and that's been in there for at least the last five years. F.W.I.W.
Did you open up the formers to accept the 16 oz. tank or is there one that fits the existing opening? Noticed in previous post you're using a 20X6 prop on your DLE 30 whereas I'm using the stock equipped 16X6 with the Zenoah; wondering if going to a larger prop would make enough difference in slowing down fuel consumption on the G-26 w/o jeopardizing performance...

Thanks for passing on the info about the roller - sand would be a better bet. Our club's roller has a small 1" hole on the side sealed with a rubber plug like a cork; I added some antifreeze to the (~30 gal) water this time around and plan on leaving it year-round. Hopefully, this will work out.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:46 AM
Lifer

I placed the larger fuel tank where the pilot used to sit. The bigger prop I use allows for better slow-speed pulling and full throttle is only used for vertical climbs. Zenoahs like to turn up so I think a bit larger prop with lower pitch, such as an 18x4 might be worth a try. I spend most of the flight at half power doing 8's, loops, and inverted flight within 50 feet of the runway.

Anti-freeze should work as long as you have a 50-50 mix. That's a lot of anti-freeze to buy though.
Old 03-31-2019, 02:53 PM
H5606

Originally Posted by Lifer

Anti-freeze should work as long as you have a 50-50 mix. That's a lot of anti-freeze to buy though.
Uh-oh, I only have about 10% in the water at best; I see now after some online research that 30/70 is just acceptable for milder regions - may have to re-think this plan.
Old 04-20-2019, 06:40 AM
H5606

The mfg's recommended balance point is 3.75 inches back from the LE - up to 4". I've been flying mine with the Rx battery in the stock BNF position (under the pilot's seat). Didn't spend any time analyzing balance with the exception of straddling the nose and picking up the airplane on my index fingers to confirm a roughly level attitude when lifting it at this location. But its not flying groovy yet.

Got rid of the programmed reflex "safety crutch" to the ailerons for conditional washout at low throttle as its introducing some undesirable characteristics.

When pulling the airplane up to a 45 at high throttle and rolling it on it's back, it doesn't stay in a climb attitude for very long before dropping the nose, so I'm thinking its nose heavy. It seems too stable with the balance point where it is; I'm moving it aft by relocating the Rx pack to the tiedown area behind the tail servos. Cursory balance point shows that it only moves back about 1/2 inch to 4.25" or centered on the spar tube. The chord measures 14.75 inches; dividing that by 4 gives 3.7 for 25%. Dividing the chord by 3 gives 4.9 for 33%. I'm between those points at 4.25" and thinking it'll still favor a forward balance point even here. Having read through a lot of this thread, found someone even flying it close to the 5" point...

Regarding gas/oil mix: I'm going to mix next batch at 50:1. This change is based on thoughts and comments indicating excess oil with a 32:1 ratio that I was using till now.

Last edited by H5606; 04-20-2019 at 06:57 AM. Reason: attempt at clarity
Old 04-20-2019, 11:32 AM
Lifer

Mine is balanced near 4.75-5.00" back. It climbs a little when inverted. Lands so nice it's one of my long-term favorites. Highly, highly recommend you use differential on the ailerons. I use 3 times as much up aileron as down. Rolls like a pattern plane. Enjoy the plane. I really wish they'd reintroduce it in a Duane Cole color scheme!
Old 05-11-2020, 01:58 PM
dale691

This is still one of my favourite aircraft. Just about to give her a bit of a freshen up. Just noticed that the windshield has gone yellow! anyone else had this problem or know how I can fix it?
Old 05-11-2020, 03:08 PM
Lifer

Mine has yellowed as well. Chances are, the plane has lasted longer than it should have.
Old 02-07-2022, 03:45 AM
ya33a

Hi Guys,

Long time no chat here.
I still have my Hangar 9 Taylorcraft, it's become a real hangar queen with the Saito engine being cantankerous, anyway a little while ago I stumbled across this and thought the similarities to the H9 were a little too close to ignore.... So spare parts anyone?

It's the Blackhorse Taylorcraft, some of the cosmetics are 'Different' but the dimensions etc look really, really similar.

https://www.rcmodelaircraft.com.au/b...aft-22cc-bh134

Hope it may help a few out with repairs etc....?
Old 02-07-2022, 12:16 PM
dale691

Funny enough mine is still going pretty well. Like others cosmetically it doesn’t look great. But I have happened to get a new windshield which I’m yet to install. I’m thinking of stripping it back and recovering with coverall or similar. I converted mine to electric recently and still live flying it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.