Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Dle 30cc overheat

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 01:25 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dle 30cc overheat

Hi i have a new dle 30 cc engine in H9 30cc stick..

Have set the idle rich and after 2 minuts of fligth my engine quits and i feel that is overheating..

It start easy..

I already check fuel tank, ignition.

Any advice of what to do?

The engine has 5 fligths and every fligth it quits in the air and in the groud.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:00 PM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its the High Speed needle you need to run richer than what it is. Without any other contributing factors/unknown variables, it sounds like your engine is getting to hot, and quitting as a result.
Old 09-05-2019, 04:09 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The Stick leaves the engine wide open to cooling air, no? I doubt it's over heating. I'm wondering about the battery you have powering the ign. If it's low, it might act like that. When checking the battery voltage, it needs to have a load on it. Without a load it may show fine, only to drop down below minimum as soon as you place a load on it.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:48 PM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will put the engine in a stan this week and try the baterry and making the higth and low more recher..
but at the field i alredy set it very rich.. so reach that the engine did not gave full power and and quit on me exackly 3 minutes after starter.

i was wondiring how much the compretion should be for this engine?

Old 09-10-2019, 12:45 AM
cathurga

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ahicks
The Stick leaves the engine wide open to cooling air, no? I doubt it's over heating. I'm wondering about the battery you have powering the ign. If it's low, it might act like that. When checking the battery voltage, it needs to have a load on it. Without a load it may show fine, only to drop down below minimum as soon as you place a load on it.
It is entirely possible to run an engine lean enough that even in a non-cowled airframe, it will still overheat. Not having a cowl doesn't mean that lubrication is going to be a problem, resulting in overheating. I hear what you are saying, and if he was on the 'cusp' of overheating, then the difference between no cowl, and a cowl, may play a part.

OP, how do you know it is running richer than what is deemed normal?
Old 09-13-2019, 03:04 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

There really is not enough information here to really have any idea of what is going on. The OP needs to go down a checklist of things.

Oil ratio and type
prop size
power source for ignition
DLE or NGK plug
how is the fuel being filtered

One thing I will comment on. Being a non cowled installation has very little bearing on operating temp provided the cowl has been cut correctly. A well baffled cowl can actually reduce running temps. Air will always take the path of least resistance, this means that unless the cylinder is baffled the air will flow around the cylinder fins instead of through them.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:57 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
One thing I will comment on. Being a non cowled installation has very little bearing on operating temp provided the cowl has been cut correctly. A well baffled cowl can actually reduce running temps. Air will always take the path of least resistance, this means that unless the cylinder is baffled the air will flow around the cylinder fins instead of through them.
Other than the fact the non cowled engine eliminates any concern over how a cowl has been cut.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:43 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 176 Likes on 151 Posts

Hence why I said provided the cowl is cut correctly which isn't overly difficult.
Old 08-28-2022, 09:15 AM
guinness0424

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dle 30

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Hi i have a new dle 30 cc engine in H9 30cc stick..

Have set the idle rich and after 2 minuts of fligth my engine quits and i feel that is overheating..

It start easy..

I already check fuel tank, ignition.

Any advice of what to do?

The engine has 5 fligths and every fligth it quits in the air and in the groud.
did you ever figure out the solution to this problem? Mine is doing the same thing and dead sticks with a Gee bee are no fun!
Old 08-28-2022, 10:57 AM
kmeyers

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There really is not enough information here to really have any idea of what is going on. The OP needs to go down a checklist of things.

Oil ratio and type
prop size
DLE or NGK plug

The OP never came back with any more info, without info all we can do is guess.

I think as I read this post I am struck by how many fail to see the importance of ducting even completely exposed engines. Clearly not understanding the meaning of "path of least resistance".

There was a long running joke at my field about a guy who kept talking about laminar flow, what a bunch of teasers we have there.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:47 PM
guinness0424

Originally Posted by kmeyers
The OP never came back with any more info, without info all we can do is guess.

I think as I read this post I am struck by how many fail to see the importance of ducting even completely exposed engines. Clearly not understanding the meaning of "path of least resistance".

There was a long running joke at my field about a guy who kept talking about laminar flow, what a bunch of teasers we have there.
it is a geebee. It has happened with cowl on and off, in the air and on the ground.
Old 08-28-2022, 02:58 PM
kmeyers

Originally Posted by guinness0424
it is a geebee. It has happened with cowl on and off, in the air and on the ground.
Perhaps unlike the OP you could answer all the questions pointed out!

There are other useful bits you could include:
What are and how did you set your High and Low speed needles?
Did this just occur on new engine or did this engine run trouble free and then start acting up 30-300 flights down the road?
How much experience do you have with 2 cycle gas engines?

I checked out the OP's 34 posts and found that most were questions about marketplace ads for Jets for sale and would you sell without turbine.

So cough up some info and let us find your problem.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:12 PM
guinness0424

Perhaps unlike the OP you could answer all the questions pointed out!

There are other useful bits you could include:
What are and how did you set your High and Low speed needles?
Did this just occur on new engine or did this engine run trouble free and then start acting up 30-300 flights down the road?
How much experience do you have with 2 cycle gas engines?

I checked out the OP's 34 posts and found that most were questions about marketplace ads for Jets for sale and would you sell without turbine.

So cough up some info and let us find your problem.
it is a new motor(about 2-3 tanks through it). I started with 1 1/2 turns out on the high end and 1 1/8 on the low. I opened it up on both to richen it up. I have about 8 years experience with gas motors and am pretty good at toning them. I checked the battery, tank and vent line to make sure it wasn’t crimped. Starts right up and idles perfect. Only happens when it is 3/4 to full throttle.
Old 08-28-2022, 03:59 PM
kmeyers

Oil ratio and type
prop size
DLE or NGK plug

Look at these questions. Please answer them all. Beside prop size I like to know construction, wood type, manufacturer, composite, balanced.......? DLE has been selling these for years, I have one new in the box that voltage for ignition is 4.8 - 6.0 volts what does yours require? Todays require 6v -8.4v

I hate typing! With out good info tho, remote trouble shooting is near impossible. Yes DLE spark plugs have been problems in the past.
Data, data and more data is what the process is.
Old 08-28-2022, 10:11 PM
guinness0424

Look at these questions. Please answer them all. Beside prop size I like to know construction, wood type, manufacturer, composite, balanced.......? DLE has been selling these for years, I have one new in the box that voltage for ignition is 4.8 - 6.0 volts what does yours require? Todays require 6v -8.4v

I hate typing! With out good info tho, remote trouble shooting is near impossible. Yes DLE spark plugs have been problems in the past.
Data, data and more data is what the process is.
sorry, the plane is a seagulls model gee bee z 71 inch wing span. Construction is wood, it is an arf. Mine doesn’t require the regulator to run it. I run 2 life batteries for my receiver and a separate life battery for the ignition. They are spektrum 2s/2200. I am running a 18x8 xoar beechwood gas prop that has been balanced. I use amsoil at 30 to 1 with 89 octane fuel. I have not changed the spark plug out so that is original. Hope I covered everything
Old 08-31-2022, 06:15 AM
kmeyers

Thanks for the depth of info.
First:
If the plug is DLE replace it with one that says NGK period, gap to .20.
Use a tach or a really good ear to reset both needles. Do the high speed first. plane restrained throttle full open. Tune for peak rpm then richen 1/8 turn.
This engine sounds too new for a perfect idle, so go for 2000 rpm and able to not die with a steady advance to full.
Don't make so many changes at once that what works is still a guess.
IMHO

Last edited by kmeyers; 08-31-2022 at 12:40 PM.