Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Seagull Gee Bee Z

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Seagull Gee Bee Z

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 10:07 AM
clockguypete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Seagull Gee Bee Z

Your right Stephano, I do just barely see them now. It was hard for me to spot them against the grass background viewing on my IPhone. I still wonder what gas engine he is using? Flies the plane well, but a bit noisy for our field, since we have guys with decibel meters monitoring us at times hehe. It might even be a 40 to 50cc by the sound of it. My saito 1.80 sounds lower pitched and softer volume for sure, even with a slimline Pitts style muffler on it.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:19 AM
clockguypete

I would stick to the asp 1.80 since the gee bee has a lot if drag due to those large wheel pants, and huge cowel. This plane seems to slow down quickly when you cut the power, and I have seen video of them flying with the 1.80, and I would not to lower the power anymore or it will fly around at piper cub speed, not a racer! Not sure what prop was on the one in the video with 1.80 though. I plan to try an 18x6 falcon carbon fiber or a xoar 18x8 carbon fiber, which place them at the high end of the power curve for this engine.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:49 AM
lomcevac540T
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I decided to run the flying wires to the wheel spats. I fiberglassed some carbon fiber rods about three inches long on the inside of the spats where the wires go. I also added a small piece of fuel tubing to the center of the carbon rod before I glued it in. I am hoping this will take up some of the vibration to the spats. My gear seem to be pretty stout now that I have put them back together. Has anyone had any issues with the axles and wheel collars (spacers)? Mine just dont seem to add up right. I don't have enough room outside the fork to add the last wheel collar. I am thinking about making a new axle out of music wire so I can put a collar on both sides of the fork.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Bob dunlop

ORIGINAL: lomcevac540T

Well I decided to run the flying wires to the wheel spats. I fiberglassed some carbon fiber rods about three inches long on the inside of the spats where the wires go. I also added a small piece of fuel tubing to the center of the carbon rod before I glued it in. I am hoping this will take up some of the vibration to the spats. My gear seem to be pretty stout now that I have put them back together. Has anyone had any issues with the axles and wheel collars (spacers)? Mine just dont seem to add up right. I don't have enough room outside the fork to add the last wheel collar. I am thinking about making a new axle out of music wire so I can put a collar on both sides of the fork.
Get rid of the spacers...use all dubro wheel collers.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:52 AM
clockguypete

Well got my wing built, upgraded to stronger aileron pushrods with ball links since my push rods were missing from the supplied hardware package. Used hitec Hs-6635HB servos. Tail assemblies hinged too, used Dubro large pinned hinges on all control surfaces as well.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81695.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1866806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg97313.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	1866807   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46730.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	1866808  
Old 03-26-2013, 10:29 AM
lomcevac540T

Looking good Pete! I thought about changing to those hinges too. Guess I'll see if the plane lasts long enough to replace the hinges.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:31 AM
maneba

I've used the stock ones for the ailerons and elevators. I'll use robart hinge point hinges only for the rudder.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:33 AM
clockguypete

We must build with lots of optimism!!! Hehehehe. Thanks for the nice compliment and shared enthusiasm ! Pete
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Bob dunlop

ORIGINAL: clockguypete

We must build with lots of optimism!!! Hehehehe. Thanks for the nice compliment and shared enthusiasm ! Pete
Good job Pete!
You guys are funny
You will be pleasantly supprised at how easy this plane is to fly...it floats around real nice and lands slow and easy...I know a few guys said it was tough to land but it's not if you know how to land taildraggers

Old 03-26-2013, 04:33 PM
clockguypete

Thanks Bob! Now I am working on modifying the fuse interior for both fuel tanks. Enlarged the opening to fit the 24oz main tank with space for some foam around it. Cut an additional hole to route the smoke oil tank lines to the engine. Will also have to add a little foam around it, and figure out how to secure it above the servo tray, since there is not enough room below or beside the main tank, and I want to keep it near the CG and centered. Once that is engineered, I am going to fuel proof the entire interior as far as I can reach I just as a precaution should a connection in all that plumbing develope a leak! I used a right angle attachment for the dremel to cut hole for smoke tank lines, worked well;-)

Name:	Ay74771.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	1866931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dx67954.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	1866932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh17283.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1866933  
Old 03-26-2013, 04:37 PM
lomcevac540T

Good Idea on the fuel proofing... had a oil line come off in a Christen Eagle a few years ago. What a mess!
Old 03-27-2013, 03:23 AM
lomcevac540T

Got my gear completed last night. Seems to be pretty sturdy. Still waiting on my engine...
Old 03-27-2013, 07:24 AM
clockguypete

Little by little, step by step, soon there will be a whole bunch of new GEE BEE Z's buzzing around the sky! We should all get together and have a GeeBee funfly weekend! LOL
Old 03-27-2013, 07:30 AM
Bob dunlop

Little by little, step by step, soon there will be a whole bunch of new GEE BEE Z's buzzing around the sky! We should all get together and have a GeeBee funfly weekend! LOL
I can see it now...
Oh no!....which plane is mine?
LOL

Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 AM
clockguypete

Ooops! your right, I never thought about that.........Hahahahhahahaha (scratch that idea)
Old 03-27-2013, 08:07 AM
mbgbe696

I plan on having mine ready by may, how about the rest of you?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:22 AM
clockguypete

I'm quite sure mine will be in the air sometime in April. I will have to take a break from the build the first week end in April, as I plan to go to Toledo Ohio for the annual RC convention held 04-06 thru 04-08! My first time attending this, should be fun.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM
lomcevac540T

I am planning to have mine in the air sometime in April. I am waiting on my engine to show. I don't know if you guys have any experience with Mintor gas motors, but you should check them out! Not trying to knock a DLE engine, but these Mintors are way better quality and have more power for the size than any I have tried. I have to admit that I have never been much of a DLE fan after going through the DL's then DLA's now the DLE. I know lots of people have had good luck with them lately and they have improved by leaps and bounds, but in my opinion they aren't the quality of the Mintor. I am already running two of them on other planes and they are flawless. I have a 22cc and a 33cc, and I am planning to put another 22cc on my Gee Bee. Just saying check them out if you haven't already.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:13 AM
maneba

I'm finishing the wing. I'm planning to reinforce the fuse where it meets the firewall with fiberglass and epoxy. I'll post photos as soon as i can. The boot vibrations is another thing that i forgot to think about. Maybe is better to wire the boots. mumble mumble. I think to finish the assembly in one week.
Stefano.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM
clockguypete

I ended up brushing all the wood in the front of the fuse with finishing epoxy resin to strengthen all glue joints and fuel proof at the same time. The rest of the interior of the fuse where I could reach is brushed with balsarite to fuel proof. I also added steel nuts under the plastic wing mounting blind nuts, since I have seen the plastic strip out over time. I will use steel 1/4 x20 bolts to hold my wing securely.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:02 AM
mbgbe696

I am planning to have mine in the air sometime in April. I am waiting on my engine to show. I don't know if you guys have any experience with Mintor gas motors, but you should check them out! Not trying to knock a DLE engine, but these Mintors are way better quality and have more power for the size than any I have tried. I have to admit that I have never been much of a DLE fan after going through the DL's then DLA's now the DLE. I know lots of people have had good luck with them lately and they have improved by leaps and bounds, but in my opinion they aren't the quality of the Mintor. I am already running two of them on other planes and they are flawless. I have a 22cc and a 33cc, and I am planning to put another 22cc on my Gee Bee. Just saying check them out if you haven't already.
. I'm using an SPE 26cc, what type of cutoff switch are you planning on using, if one?
Old 03-27-2013, 10:19 AM
lomcevac540T

ORIGINAL: mbgbe696

. I'm using an SPE 26cc, what type of cutoff switch are you planning on using, if one?
I use the Wike RC ignition battery eliminator in all my gas engines. I get them from Troy Built Models. They plug into your receiver and get the power from you RX battery. By doing it this way, you eliminate an extra battery to charge, plus you use the channel that you plug it into as a switch to turn the ignition on and off. They have a voltage regulator so you can set the outgoing voltage to the ignition. I use them on Mintor 22cc, 33cc, DA60, and a DA 120 with no problems since I switched to them. I really like the ability to kill the ignition from the TX if an emergency situation should occur. It also has a red LED to let you know when the ignition is hot. Check them out..
[link]http://www.troybuiltmodels.com/items/WRCIBEFV2.1.html[/link]
Old 03-27-2013, 10:35 AM
maneba

In my gas engines i usually use Powerbox SparkSwitch. N°1.
[link=http://www.powerbox-systems.com/e/powerbox_systeme/powerbox_sparkswitch/start.php]SparkSwitch[/link]

This is my solution for ailerons.

Name:	Pn35219.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1867227  
Old 03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
clockguypete

Looks solid Stephano, definitely going to get full throw on your aileron! I don't recognize the hardware through your aileron, you used some other bolt (control horn) than supplied with Arf?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:10 AM
maneba

Looks solid Stephano, definitely going to get full throw on your aileron! I don't recognize the hardware through your aileron, you used some other bolt (control horn) than supplied with Arf?
A golden Control Horn by sdshobby.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.