Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > AMA Discussions
Reload this Page >

Part 107 and contests

Notices
AMA Discussions Discuss AMA policies, decisions & any other AMA related topics here.

Part 107 and contests

Old 03-26-2019, 05:51 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All RC fliers are essentially advertising for the industry when they fly on their club field. Is the FAA going to check on every flier to try to see if he's being compensated? lol
From what I've heard, the FAA is very much understaffed and unless something very drastic happens, I don't think we will hear a peep from them. They have much bigger fish to fry than us flying our toys.
At least our fixed wing toys.
Old 03-26-2019, 06:47 AM
Appowner
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
All RC fliers are essentially advertising for the industry when they fly on their club field. Is the FAA going to check on every flier to try to see if he's being compensated? lol
From what I've heard, the FAA is very much understaffed and unless something very drastic happens, I don't think we will hear a peep from them. They have much bigger fish to fry than us flying our toys.
True, to a point. But they are NOT sponsored by the industry when they do this. You need to maintain perspective with this. Because I assure you, the FAA will.

And yes, the FAA is understaffed. More so in some places than in others. Do you intend to count on that to stay out of trouble? Kind of like betting on where the cops will be when you decide to fracture the speed limit don't you think?
Old 03-26-2019, 06:53 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by scottrc
May I interject here.......
In regards to who's responsible for being 107, it's not the AMA, the CD, the Club, or anyone BUT the pilot who is in control the of aircraft. The FAA will only be involved if THAT pilot is flying for compensation in the event and will deal directly with that pilot.
So if I go and fly at a event that I paid to be in, and although the sponsors are making money at it, as long as I'm flying for recreation, then there is no problem. Now if I get called and asked to fly at the event, and get paid, and what I do this for a living is travel the country demonstrating flying and models, well, that is where the FAA really needs to clarify their stance better, for as of now, it looks like the pilot would need Part 107.
Agreed. And while I agree the AMA, CD etc are not responsible for checking, it could prove to be a prudent thing to do in a contest environment. Just a CYA thing if you know what I mean.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:01 AM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie

To be honest Hydro, I don't think any of us know one another well at all. We only see a small fraction of what one another is about. I still give benifit of the doubt to most members here you included. Hell if we ever did meet face to face which is a possibility now that we are 3 hours distance I would think I would offer to buy you a beer. That being said I have no more understanding for another members attitude. He is digging himself a hole and I for one will be happy when it caves in on him.
Wow! I'll bet your chest is puffed out almost as much as your ego is right now. Take the high road and declare: "I don't think any of us know one another well at all." Then drop into your judgmental hole again.

For someone who has mis-quoted others, and denied it. Told stories about others, and denied. And out right lied about others, and denied it. In spite of proof being posted in these threads....All I can say is, you're one to talk!

And perhaps you should use the word "understanding" as a Noun, not an Adjective.
NOUN
  1. the ability to understand something; comprehension.
    "foreign visitors with little understanding of English"
ADJECTIVE
  1. sympathetically aware of other people's feelings; tolerant and forgiving.
    "people expect their doctor to be understanding.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:14 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 173 Likes on 149 Posts

I would agree that if you own an R/C related business and attend events in an effort to promote your products then part 107 Could in fact apply. If you happen to be an employee, that gets a bit gray area. When I was an employee of Century Helicopters, I received no additional pay for attending trade shows or fly-ins. My travel and accomidations were picked up but that's all. When I left the company I was requested to give all the companies equipment back so although I was flying it I clearly did not own it. Competitions are recreational for 99% of us. We pay an entry fee that in some cases does not even cover the investment of the hosting club. There are no cash prizes, ( exception to that would be Tucson Shootout ) spectators are not charged admission. There are at times manufacturers banners displayed however the event does not receive compensation for this. It is done for the good will of the hobby.

My question to Appowner is: as a non AMA member, as somone who will never enter any form of competition why are you concerned with this? I'm not saying you can't or that you shouldn't, I'm just curious as to why you decided to make this your boggle of the week.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:18 AM
Appowner
Banned

.................................................. .....
My question to Appowner is: as a non AMA member, as somone who will never enter any form of competition why are you concerned with this? I'm not saying you can't or that you shouldn't, I'm just curious as to why you decided to make this your boggle of the week.
Simple, just as soon as you start answering my questions.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:19 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Appowner
Wow! I'll bet your chest is puffed out almost as much as your ego is right now. Take the high road and declare: "I don't think any of us know one another well at all." Then drop into your judgmental hole again.

For someone who has mis-quoted others, and denied it. Told stories about others, and denied. And out right lied about others, and denied it. In spite of proof being posted in these threads....All I can say is, you're one to talk!

And perhaps you should use the word "understanding" as a Noun, not an Adjective.
NOUN
  1. the ability to understand something; comprehension.
    "foreign visitors with little understanding of English"
ADJECTIVE
  1. sympathetically aware of other people's feelings; tolerant and forgiving.
    "people expect their doctor to be understanding.
Sure I have a little free time this morning to play your GAME. Please give an example of what I have lied about.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:20 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Appowner
Simple, just as soon as you start answering my questions.
As soon as you ask one that is relevant.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:59 AM
Appowner
Banned

As soon as you ask one that is relevant.
I have but, I'm not surprised that you don't think so. In fact, it's a question you have asked me before so since you think it relevant for me, it must also be relevant for you. Or do you think you're above such things?
Old 03-26-2019, 08:15 AM
speedracerntrixie

Nevermind, I'm only pointing out the obvious.

Last edited by speedracerntrixie; 03-26-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:01 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you really want to settle this forever, find out if the salesman for an aircraft dealer needs to be a Commercial pilot or not.

All the other cash-funded "events" happening at the venue, and just "fund-raisers".

THAT's the bottom line.

Rafael
Old 03-26-2019, 10:11 AM
Appowner
Banned

Nevermind, I'm only pointing out the obvious.
So let me get this straight. You expect me to answer questions you pose to me? But you don't have to answer questions I pose to you? Even if they're the same questions you asked me?

If true, you're right! It's obvious that your arrogance is exceeded only by your ignorance.

And not responding will be regarded as your agreeing with me.
Old 03-27-2019, 08:17 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How stupid are you? Why stir the pot on something that does not need to be addressed? The rule is so hazy that this is a case of asking for forgiveness rather than permission is in order. Just raising the question could mean very bad things for our hobby.
Old 03-27-2019, 03:20 PM
Appowner
Banned

Originally Posted by paulsf86
How stupid are you? Why stir the pot on something that does not need to be addressed? The rule is so hazy that this is a case of asking for forgiveness rather than permission is in order. Just raising the question could mean very bad things for our hobby.
I don't care to go through life constantly excusing myself and asking forgiveness. I like to know exactly what it is I'm doing and do it correctly from the start. I hold my head high so I can see what's going on and not buried in the sands of paranoia and fear.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:03 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ira d
IMO until the FAA spells out specific requirements in writing I would not worry about it.
He is not worried about it.

Google the term "concern troll"
Old 03-29-2019, 11:08 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by fliers1
You got it. That is the long and short of it

Last edited by mr_matt; 03-29-2019 at 11:43 AM.